Having problems with awake timeGeneral

Last Updated:

1. phositadc

phositadc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I bought my wife an Eris last week and she likes it. Battery life has been fine so far, but I have one concern. Last night before I went to bed, I checked "awake time," and it was about 6 hours (uptime was about 14 or 15). The 6 hours may have been a little bit high, but it was probably about right.

This morning as soon as I woke up I checked awake time again, and it was at 14.5 hours. So it had been "awake" literally all night. I killed extraneous tasks before I went to bed, but here's what I've got installed:

Pure Calender*
    Gmail Unread Count*
    Audio Manager*
    OpenTable
    Shazam
    Movies by Flixster
    Astro
    Google Voice
    My Tracks
    DropBox
    BatteryLife widget by CurveFish*

The ones with * were the only ones running when we went to bed (I have those excluded from my task killer).

This morning, I killed "Messages" because I read that the stock SMS app can cause the phone to stay awake, but "awake" time continues to increase despite the phone appearing to be asleep.

Thoughts?

A couple other things: we used my tracks yesterday, but turned off the GPS and killed the app when we were finished using it. And she played Teeter for like 20 minutes a little while before we went to bed.

Advertisement
  2. xx_bishop_xx

xx_bishop_xx Well-Known Member

Damn, you got to sleep for 14.5 hours? Lucky. The battery widgets seem to be what I have the most trouble with; in terms of awake time and battery.

3. phositadc

phositadc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Haha, no, 8.5 hours (it went from 6 to 14.5). I might try getting rid of the BatteryLife widget... but on my Incredible, that definitely does not affect awake time. I guess all phones are different even when they should act the same...

4. zerocool79346

zerocool79346 Well-Known Member

Were you charging during this time? If so, the Eris doesn't "sleep" while charging.

5. cannonfodder

cannonfodder Member

Not true, as mine sleeps while charging.

As for the OP, I had the same problem once, something like 28 hours of uptime and 27 of awake time when I happened to check it. Turned out to be the google calendar in a continual loop of trying to sync. Go to menu > settings > accounts & sync > google. There was the little circular arrow thing next to the 'sync calendar' line indicating it was trying to synch. I disabled it, then re-enabled it and everything was fine and sleeping like it should after that.

6. cmajpwc

cmajpwc Well-Known Member

My Eris sleeps while charging. If it didn't, then my awake time would be a TON higher than it is now, as I charge my phone all night while I sleep every night.

As for your problem, the battery widget could be causing the problem. What it MIGHT be doing is keeping the phone awake while you charge it. Unless what you meant is that even with the phone off the charger it continues to have an increasing awake time? Hmm, I'm not sure. I do know however a lot of problems have come from battery widgets, so I guess you could give that a shot.

Another thought, task killer could be causing your phone to stay awake. Just a thought, I think I read somewhere else on here people have had issues with that. Especially take a look at this if you used it before you went to sleep, and it stayed awake, and you used it in the morning and it continued to stay awake. It COULD be that.

Oh yeah, and if you have 2.1 check running services (Home> Menu> Settings> Applications> Running Services) or what has been using the battery under battery information (Home> Menu> Settings> About Phone> Battery> Battery Use)

Hope that helps =]