Having real problems with music and albums

Last Updated:

1. Saint2710

Saint2710 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi Noob here so please be gentle with me.
    Having probs with music on my t-mobile g2 (Hero)
    can save single mp3's to the sd card and it plays them, how do I get it to recognise albums and tracks within albums, it just seems as if it doesn't like them, tried creating a folder on the sd card with the album name, putting tracks inside this and cannot get it to work? Also want the player to show album art but having difficulty with that too - do I need to use WMP or something else and sync?
    any ideas, tips, tricks?

Advertisement
  2. Merago

Merago Well-Known Member

Have all of your songs on the album got the correct ID tags (album name, track number) and such? I've got a few albums on my phone and I've never noticed any issues. To find out if the tags are right, you can right click on one of the mp3s in Windows, clicking Properties and then going to the Summary tab.

3. Saint2710

Thanks for the very quick reply, I'll try to explain.

Mmm, just looked, they are all different, for example I have a folder (called by the album name) on the sd card, in that folder I have the tracks and they are labelled 01-name, o2-name, ...etc. Now track 1 in the media player, In the artist view it shows up as unknown artist, Unknown album,Track1. In the Album view it shows as Unknown Album, Track1. In the songs view it shows as Track1, unknown artist.

I think it must be a naming convention issue, or where and how I upload to the sd card - what about Album art?

4. brykins

brykins Well-Known Member

If you're on Windows, you need something like mp3tag (Google will bring it up). A desktop application (free) that allowes you to view and edit the tags within an mp3 file to ensure it has the correct track title, artist name, track number, album art, etc.

5. Saint2710

Thank you, I'll try downloading it tonight, Do I then just upload the album as a folder (as long as the tracks all have tags on them?) onto the sd card?

6. brykins

brykins Well-Known Member

Android will display your mp3's based on the tags in the file, no matter where you store them. For example, you might have track.mp3 and track2.mp3 in totally different places on the SD card. BUT if they both have the same artist and album tag then Android will display them together as part of the same album.

It's ALL about getting the tags correct, not about where the files are physically stored. You can simply throw 1000 mp3 files into one directory and they will still be displayed according to artist and album.

7. Saint2710

Thank you a million times, I've finally grasped this tagging Lark.
    I think this will also work on my mp3 player too :)

8. Haizum74

Haizum74 Guest

Make a folder and call it Music, put your album folders in that and within the album folder you have your music files. Get an album cover off amazon and save it in the album folder relevant to said album.

Works for me :D