• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Having real problems with music and albums

Saint2710

Jan 6, 2010
Northumberland UK
Hi Noob here so please be gentle with me.
Having probs with music on my t-mobile g2 (Hero)
can save single mp3's to the sd card and it plays them, how do I get it to recognise albums and tracks within albums, it just seems as if it doesn't like them, tried creating a folder on the sd card with the album name, putting tracks inside this and cannot get it to work? Also want the player to show album art but having difficulty with that too - do I need to use WMP or something else and sync?
any ideas, tips, tricks?

Thanks for the very quick reply, I'll try to explain.

Mmm, just looked, they are all different, for example I have a folder (called by the album name) on the sd card, in that folder I have the tracks and they are labelled 01-name, o2-name, ...etc. Now track 1 in the media player, In the artist view it shows up as unknown artist, Unknown album,Track1. In the Album view it shows as Unknown Album, Track1. In the songs view it shows as Track1, unknown artist.

I think it must be a naming convention issue, or where and how I upload to the sd card - what about Album art?

Upvote 0
Android will display your mp3's based on the tags in the file, no matter where you store them. For example, you might have track.mp3 and track2.mp3 in totally different places on the SD card. BUT if they both have the same artist and album tag then Android will display them together as part of the same album.

It's ALL about getting the tags correct, not about where the files are physically stored. You can simply throw 1000 mp3 files into one directory and they will still be displayed according to artist and album.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones