having second thoughts about the bloatware

Last Updated:

1. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member This Topic's Starter

Ok... so I'm rooted and I went on a tyrade against bloat by deleting it. I'm thinking, well... what if we get gingerbread, right?

So, I hear that the fully paid titanium can "freeze" bloat. Shoudla done that instead, methinks. Pay for Titanium Plus and just freeze it.

So, can I reinstall Blockbuster, citiID, and I think there was another one or two I dumped, maybe not. If so, where can I get it?

Any advice is welcome.

Steven

Advertisement
  2. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

You can remove the bloat for free by just renaming it instead of deleting it. That was the approach I took with 2.1 - all of the bloated apps got renamed to <app>.ap instead of <app>.apk. System didn't load them anymore, and yet they were still there for me to put back for the update.

I paid for TiBu though, so now it's all just frozen since it's a little faster to freeze/unfreeze than it is to rename.

If you are running 2.2, you just have to get someone to send you the .apks you deleted and move them back to the system directory. Anyone with a stock 2.2 that's rooted can get them for you. If there aren't too many, I'll unfreeze them and get them for you myself if you tell me what you need...

3. Airmaxx23

Airmaxx23 Well-Known Member

Once you put them back into the system / app folder you need to change the permissions also.

4. SwisherSweets

SwisherSweets Well-Known Member

http://www.hawkeye411.com/droidx/systemapp.zip

I found that link when I uninstalled my bloatware and needed it back to flash 2.2 rom, but I didn't use it so use with caution if you do

I just ended up flashing sbf which installed all the bloatware and moved on to 2.2 from there, this would probably be your safest bet (if you not on official froyo), but also would take more time

5. Steven58

ok ty got it. easy peaasy!

6. rudyolph

rudyolph New Member

So...are you guys saying that you can't do future OTA updates if you rooted your phone and used TiBu to remove Blockbuster and CityID?

7. Steven58

yes. you need all the bloatware in place to do so.

8. rudyolph

rudyolph New Member

Ugggh guess I should have read the small print before I deleted cityid and blockbuster. Any chance someone has the 2.2 apks for those handy?