Having some trouble with ADT

Last Updated:

1. g1_

g1_ Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

I'm following the instructions on installing the Android SDK and ADT from the ebook "Hello, Android" by Ed Burnette. Everything seems to have gone fine up until the point where I select "File -> New -> Project".

Attachment "sdk.jpg" shows which packages are installed.
    Attachment "eclipse1.jpg" is "Help -> Install new software" in eclipse.
    Attachment "eclipse2.jpg" is "What is already installed" from the previous window.

My impression is that everything is installed correctly. If I reload Eclipse now and select "File -> New -> Project" android doesn't appear amongst the options. Also if I go to "Window -> Preferences" there is no mention of android.

Any assistance would be great. I'm normally a notepad / gedit coder, so I don't have too much experience with eclipse but it shouldn't be this hard to get started.

Thanks,
    g1

Attached Files:

Advertisement
  2. g1_

3. g1_

It looks to me like Eclipse is not downloading/installing everything it needs for ADT. It states that there are no new updates for ADT however there is no mention of Android amongst any of the preference settings (which to me would suggest that ADT is not installed).

I had a go at installing Android SDK and ADT for eclipse on another compter I have (Ubuntu). Also didn't work but for a different reason. Installed the Android SDK no problem. Added the repository "http://dl-ssl.google.com/android/eclipse/" to eclipse. It suggested that I installed "Android Dalvik Debug Monitor Service" and "Android Developer Tools". I checked both. Clicked on next and eclipse seems to freeze.

IMO configuring IDE's is often more complicated than actually writing an app :confused:

4. Nameless931

Nameless931 New Member

The Android option is not coming up under Windows>Preferences in Eclipse after installing the ADT?

One reason that this may be occurring is because of Windows 7 security settings. Try starting up Eclipse with ​

5. DanCostello

DanCostello New Member

...thanks to Nameless931, *running Eclipse as Administrator fixes the problem*.

Also, for the sake of completeness, I resolved a couple of other problems by putting eclipse and the SDK in a path with no spaces (originally, foolishly, put them in "Program Files").