Having to reassign ringtones after SD mountSupport

Last Updated:

1. Kojangie

Kojangie New Member This Topic's Starter

So I have some custom ringtones assigned to some of my contacts as well as for my default ringtone and text message tone. I noticed a few times that when I hook my phone up to my laptop and mount and unmount the SD card, all my ringtone assigments are gone and I have to reassign them all over again.

Has any one else experienced this problem?

Advertisement
  2. Barbara

Barbara Well-Known Member

I don't ever have to unmount the sd card, only the usb connection needs to be mounted and unmounted to the computer.

3. Kojangie

This is what I meant.

4. Barbara

I have just assigned a couple of ringtones. I'll try it out and see what happens.

5. Kojangie

I just tried it again also. I didn't have the problem this time. I'm not sure what exactly causes the problem, but I know it did happen when I tried assigning ringtones while the USB connection was mounted.

6. Barbara

Yeah, I didn't have a problem either. The two ringtones that I downloaded and assigned are still there.

7. ushuaia

ushuaia New Member

I experienced the same problem for not only custom contacts ringtones but for sms, mail ringtones. th interesting thing is, it chooses the new ringtone itself. very annoying.
    by the way, I'm using samsung galaxy

8. ac32cl

ac32cl Member

I am having a similar issue but I dont have to mount/unmount the SD card for this to happen. I have noticed at random that the ringtones I have selected from the SD card for certain contacts have reset themselves to be the same ringtones for all my other contacts which is a stock ringtone on the phone. This has happened twice now. My notifications for email/sms etc. havent had a problem yet and they are also from the SD card. It just seems to be ringtones for some reason. Another issue I am having with both ringtones and notifications is they will actually change speed and play real fast somehow. Kind of like if you have a record and speed it up so it sounds like the chipmunks. Again this is completely at random. They will even speed up while I am previewing them to choose one. I did have an SD card issue when i first got the phone where it deleted all my pictures and video I had taken with the phone and then wouldnt work unless I reformatted it. Since the reformat its been fine until this new problem. I hope someone can figure out the cause for this.

9. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

When you mount your SD card it becomes sort 'unavailable' to the Android Operating system. This is by design to prevent two operating systems from working on the same drive at once.

Are you sure that the ringtones don't play? If so that's a bummer but my guess is that would be only temporary. However, when you remount the ringtones should play fine (I would think). I could very well also imagine that that dont appear if you go looking at them while connected. If I were you I would connect and mount the phone and then call it from another phone to see for sure.

This could be something you might want to post on the issues section of google code though.

10. Alli Gaulin

Alli Gaulin Member

I thought I should pop back in and tell you that I spoke to Motorola and Verizon, both could not resolve the issue and blamed it on the other. I eventually pushed all my roadrunner e-mails to my Gmail account which is working fine. (Though no syncing between it and my outlook so I don't have a record of replies on my PC if I respond from the phone.) It is working well and eventually I will phase out my roadrunner e-mail and use either my web live.com account or the gmail account exclusively.

11. KhaaL

KhaaL Member

i just wanted to say that i also have this problem, i think its a bug in the android OS. I haven't tried to upgrade to a higher versoin of android since samsung isn't updating galaxy.

12. bl80

bl80 Member

similar issue here.. i have been running home++ for quite a while and lately my phone has been acting up quite a bit.
    I have the ringtone issue described above..
    today was final straw as I ABSOLUTELY had to be awake and at work by 3am.. the alarm on my phone did not work.

thankfully I had my GF program the alarm in her phone and was able to get up on time.

i did a quick alarm test as I was leaving for work and when it was supposed to go off I got a Force-Close on my home++ app.

home++ was uninstalled immediately.

hopefully this will help.

going to uninstall all unused applications as well..

I'd suggest trying that before blaming verizon or motorola.

13. KhaaL

KhaaL Member

In my case I'm not using home++, just the ordinary alarm clock and ringtones in order to assign the tune...

14. bl80

bl80 Member

not saying its only home++... but the fact that there are so many apps out there that have caused one issue or another.. or that do not work well together.. should be the first thing that is looked at when any oddities arise.

any widgets running.. non-standard?

have you reseated your sd card? replaced it with another one? perhaps your card is bad.. perhaps mine is as well and deleting my home++ app was unneeded.

hard to say.. but I'd definitely start with any non-standard apps and see if removing them helps.

15. CobaltDragon

CobaltDragon Well-Known Member

I imagine they only switch back to defaults when it actually tries to use the ones on the sd card, so only if you got a call or message or something while the sd card was unavailable.

I would try copying your custom sounds to the internal memory, that way they won't become unavailable when you're using the SD card from your computer.

16. chyau.00

chyau.00 Well-Known Member

same problem with me but thats only when i have it mounted onto my computer...once i unmount, everything is back to normal... which makes sense considering my ringtones are on my sd card

17. stealthgriffin

stealthgriffin Member

Would instructions for this be found someplace here on the forums I assume (a link would rock!).

Also wanted to chime my 2c in. I just had this problem for the first time yesterday while I was at work and mounted my card. I got emails in the middle of the process and afterwards had to reset my ringtones and text messages if they were customized from Ringdroid-created songs and not stock. Granted, this process was made infinitely easier by contactsGroupU (setting ringtones for a while group) and Ringo Lite, but was still annoying.

Neither myself, nor either of my brothers (all 3 of us Verizon sales reps) have ever heard of this problem before so finding a solution for this would be cool.

18. mnj

mnj New Member

I am having similar problem.

When I switch my phone off, my Ringtones, notifications, alarms and pictures are gone...

/mnt/sdcard/media/ folder is empty?
    /mnt/sdcard/DCIM/100MEDIA shows the images files but not able to open. Tried to copy these to computer, but still not able to open imeages.

This happens every time I switch my phone off!

My music and other thing are not effected...

Using HTC, desire with Froyo and 32gb sdcard...

19. dwh_72

dwh_72 Well-Known Member

YES... I find that if I mount, add/remove etc files to sdcard then remount, then my tones remain as set, however if I receive a text/email/phone call while I am mounted to computer my tones change to a default tone on the phone (since my custom tones are on the card). I am rooted and tried moving my custom tones to the phone's internal ringtones folder but cannot get the settings to see or identify my custom tones. I have tried mp3 ogg and wav and I am not able to get anywhere

20. rngleone

rngleone New Member

Hi, I have the same issue. Just pluging in the usb cord to PC it will mount and unmount the SD Card where ringtones are stored and I will lose the custom setting (assigned ringtones to certain callers). When you unplug cord the phone (system) does not remount SD Card and the original settings.

Questions;
    - Is it true you have to have the SD Card to down load ringtones?
    - Do you have to download the ringtones to the SD Card. Can they be stored on the phone memory?
    - Is there a setting to set when you plug in USB cord it will not unmount the SD Card

Also; I get a pop up window (when I connect USB) and I can chose folders either on the phone Memory or SD card. What are to correct folders to store things so you can find them on phone when you unplug SD Card?

So simple, yet so confusing [​IMG]
    Ron
    Droid Bionic - ver 4.1.2

21. rngleone

rngleone New Member

?