Having trouble installing Google Search apkSupport

Last Updated:

1. Henweigh

Henweigh Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I was following the instructions to install the EnhancedGoogleSearchProvider.apk, and ran into some trouble. I'm on Mac OSX Leopard. I downloaded Astro File Manager. When I mount my Fascinate and try to donwnload the apk to my sd card, it ends up saving as EnhancedGoogleSearchProvider.apk.html. When I try to open the file using Astro, the options it gives me are Dolphin Browser, File Editor, and HTML Viewer. No option to Install App. What should I do?

Also, I just downloaded LauncherPro, but I'm happy with TouchWiz. The only reason I was doing all of this is to set the soft search button to Google search. Am I going to have to be using LauncherPro all the time to do this?

Advertisement
  2. bezerk19

bezerk19 Well-Known Member

Have you tried emailing the file to yourself (preferably the gmail account)?

Also are you rooted? If you are there is a TouchWiz version that was made for the Samsung Captivate, which can be used in our Fascinate, the benefit to using this Touchwiz launcher is that you can use Google search. I too had the problem that in order to use Google search I had to use Launcher pro, which don't get me wrong Launcher pro is great but I liked using touchwiz most of the time.

If you are not rooted then you will have to wait for Froyo, which they claim you will have the option of selecting google or bing.

3. Henweigh

Henweigh Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I plan on trying to root tonight. How can I find this touchwiz version you speak of?