Having trouble rooting

1. Jeanine

Jeanine Member

I have downloaded and unzipped the file, but when I go to write the card (I am using the program linked on the wiki page) I get Lock error. An error occurred when attempting to lock the volume error 8. Can anyone shed some light?

Advertisement
    :
  2. soxfan81

soxfan81 Active Member

Are you using win image? Is the micro sd "locked" into the adapter? Is sd formatted?

I didn't lock the sd so it wasn't able to write to the sd. After a bad write you have to reformat. Then I was able to burn a recovery disc to the sd after that. Then the fun began.
    Jeanine likes this.
  3. Jeanine

Jeanine Member

I am using WinImage, but I think I am doing it wrong. Can you tell me step by step what to do in WinImage? my nephew came over and wrote the card from WinImage, but the files did not look like the example on the Wiki page. I know I don't want to extract the files, but write the image? Ugh this is driving me nuts!! Thanks for any help you can give me!

Edited to add: I put the card that my nephew wrote into the nook and followed the steps, but the nook just booted normally, and when I took the card back out and read it in the computer, it had added B&N files to the card.

Edited again to add that I am choosing "restore image to physical drive". It says to choose a drive from the list, but the list is blank. There should be a way for this program to see that drive, but darned if I can figure it out.
  4. soxfan81

soxfan81 Active Member

did android sign in pop up?

It will boot normally after root before you go crazy hit n then extras see if you have super user access or market.

Edited again to add that I am choosing "restore image to physical drive". It says to choose a drive from the list, but the list is blank. There should be a way for this program to see that drive, but darned if I can figure it out.

I had that problem and it was the micro sd wasn't locked into the reader adapter.

1. format sd
    2. select drive in win image
    3. restore image to physical drive
    4. select unzipped auto-nooter file

Every time you restore image to physical drive and it fails you need to re-format the sd card. This was the hardest part for me. I hope this helps.
    Jeanine likes this.
  5. Jeanine

Jeanine Member

soxfan81 FTW!! I have successfully rooted my Nook! Thank you so much for the help. I had to reformat my card, and then I ended up using Win32diskimager.

I was also getting the message that some other program was using that drive, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why. I just removed the card, re-booted the computer and re-did the whole process. It worked and I can't thank you enough. I hope this help someone else.
  6. soxfan81

soxfan81 Active Member

Congrats hope you have fun with it.
  7. degsus2000

degsus2000 New Member

FIGRURED it out ERROR 8 means you have another window open looking at sd card you must close windows using sd card to complete image burn

clockwork mod 3028
    nook color 1.3
    8gb sd card
  8. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, that'll do it, but I've never seen that error. :D
  9. Bolivar

Bolivar New Member

After two hours I followed Jeanine