having trouble with apps to sd

Last Updated:

1. chaz123

chaz123 Member This Topic's Starter

for 2 weeks now i wanted to be able to save apps to my sd card on my droid eris, however i am having trouble finding out how to do this. i have found so steps but they seem confusing to me. does anyone know how to do this, or can send me a link that is easy to follow

Advertisement
  2. SplicedX

SplicedX Well-Known Member

First: Are you rooted?
    Second: If so, are you running a ROM that supports apps2sd or has native support for it in the ROM(Froyo is an example that natively supports it)?

As an example, I run xtrROM and after flashing the ROM there are extra zip files that either turn it on or off. Version 4.0.4 did away with the zip modules in favor of scripts that are run through a terminal. Froyo on the other hand, supports it in the OS so it is just a matter of checking a box or tapping a button to move a particular app to SD. Froyo will only let non copy protected apps go to the SD card.

chaz123 likes this.
  3. chaz123

i am rooted and i downloaded a ROM that has apps2sd as a feature and even explained how to partition the sd card, but i am stuck from there.

4. SplicedX

Which ROM?

chaz123 likes this.
  5. chaz123

6. SplicedX

I just read the faq and it didnt say much. Im not familar with that ROM has your internal memory been decreasing by a lot as you install more apps? My advice would be to msg the developer over at XDA.

chaz123 likes this.
  7. chaz123

i just downloaded 2 apps and saw my internal memeory decrease and so i know it wasnt going to the sd card. also what ROM are you familiar with and know that could work for me as i just want to be able to save apps to my sd card so i can download more apps

8. SplicedX

check out xtrROM its awesome and the developer is quick to help out. plus, its incredibly fast.

chaz123 likes this.
  9. chaz123

oh alright thanks for all your help

10. Maxwell

Maxwell Well-Known Member

Ok, my turn with the questions. I am rooted using xtrROM3.0.3 and followed directions on how to partition sd card (i set both swap values at 0) and did the sd ext2 to ext3 thing. Then I flashed the apps2sdON file. Upon rebooting, no apps transfered over to card but a new folder appeared labeled "system". It is a copy of the phone's system folder with an app folder within. Can someone tell me where I went wrong. Should I just go ahead and do a wipe and flash xtrROM4.0 instead?

Thanks in advance.

11. SplicedX

Maxwell,
    the first value is the swap size. 0 or 32 is fine. the second is the size of the partition for your app storage. if you put 0 then there is no app partition. i set mine at 1024Mb so i know i will have plenty of room

Maxwell likes this.
  12. Maxwell

Maxwell Well-Known Member

Thanks for enlightening me on my silly mistake. Here is another question, what apps or types of apps can be saved to the card? I redid the partition and it said apps were moved but all I can see that were moved were stock apps and stock ringtones ended up in the music folder...lol. I am getting discouraged and thinking about giving up on apps2sd. Save me if you can!