having trouble with outlook emailGeneral

Last Updated:

1. TnFlapjack

TnFlapjack Active Member This Topic's Starter

I use outlook 2003 for my email. If outlook is closed on my computer, I get all of my email to my phone. If outlook is open on my computer, I do not get my emails on my phone. Does anyone know how to fix this so I can always get my emails whether outlook is open or not? I think when my local computer receives an email, it removes it from my ISP server. I don't know if this makes any difference or not.
    Thanks

Advertisement
  2. nick5704

nick5704 New Member

Anyone have any suggestions on this? I am having the same problem. In addition, when I delete on the phone it does not delete in outlook. Please help!

3. polo2883

polo2883 Well-Known Member

If you use POP for your email you are downloading the email off the server. So sounds like outlook downloads it off the server so your phone doesn't get a chance to download the message. I would suggest either using POP and leaving a copy on the server or use IMAP.

4. douger

douger Well-Known Member

Who is your mail provider?

You need to do two things...in Outlook, you need to change the setting so that it leaves a copy of the email on the server. I'm running 2010 here but I think getting to the setting is the same: account settings>internet email settings>more settings>advanced.

Once that's done, you'll need to log into your web based mail account, then tackle the settings. If you're using Gmail, settings>forwarding and POP/IMAP. Make sure the setting at "when messages are accessed with POP" the setting is something along the lines of "leave a copy in the inbox."

Ask me how I know this... :eek:

Droid1215 likes this.
  5. jd1970

jd1970 Member

I found using K9 Mail for now works. I was having issues setting up my work e-mail since we do our own hosting it would not verify the server. K9 asked to accept the certificate for both pop and smtp and I was up and running.