having trouble with outlookSupport

Last Updated:

1. TnFlapjack

TnFlapjack Active Member This Topic's Starter

I use outlook 2003 for my email. If outlook is closed on my computer, I get all of my email to my phone. If outlook is open on my computer, I do not get my emails on my phone. Does anyone know how to fix this so I can always get my emails whether outlook is open or not?
    Thanks

Advertisement
  2. rmlavin315

rmlavin315 Active Member

I may not be of any help, but here is a suggestion. Based in the info you provided It's hard to diagnose what the issue may be, but my best guess is that you are connecting to a POP server. Once you connect to the server via your computer and recieve the mail, (and subsequent mail if you stay connected) the server knows it has sent your mail and will not resend it to the computer, or any other device, like your phone, till you disconnect and reconnect with with another device. Then only new mail gets sent.

This all depends on if you are connecting via POP or IMAP. POP sends your mail to the device (your computer) and deletes it from the server. IMAP leaves the mail on the server so it can be read from mulitple devices. With POP servers there is usually a setting where you can chose to leave the mail on the server after it is initially recieved, so you can POP it to multiple devices. If you are connecting via POP you will need to find this setting and change it.

Again, this is just a guess based in the information you supplied. Good luck.

3. Old Pirate

Old Pirate Member

I use Outlook too at work and I do as the last poster suggests. I set up individual accounts on my phone for all my pop email and it stays there until I pull it down from my main office computer. Therefore I only get mail on my phone that I have not read at the office. Works great on the weekends, but do admit I have numerous emails to sort and trash when returning to the office on Monday, but knowing in advance what they are makes it easy to dispense.

4. bowl443

bowl443 Member

It's because outlook is using pop and is pulling your mail off the server. IMAP will only grab what is still on the mail server.

Like lavin suggested, there is an option in outlook to leave the messages on the server until deleted.

Try this:

LINK

Also, here:

LINK 2