Hazardous Work Environment...does anyone havet his problem??Support

Last Updated:

1. serpentine009

serpentine009 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My buddy picked up an Incredible right after it was released. Switch from a Blackberry Pearl. He went thru about 5 pearls in a 1.5 year period. This is all due to his line of work. He is a custom metal fabricator. Anyone who is experienced in this field will know that metal shavings find their way into every crack and crevice you can imagine.

He loves the incredible because he can take off the battery door and cover the speaker with a paper towel and then re-apply the battery door. However, even with this effort. Metal shaving still made their way into his speaker housing. This will ultimately render the speaker useless after time.

The question is this:
    1. Does anyone work in the same environment? If so, what do you do to protect the phone?
    2. Will a stronger magnet than the one that is holding the metal shavings in the speaker housing ruin the phone. In other words, if he just uses a stronger magnet to pull out the metal, will he damage memory or anything else?

Thanks for your help. Pics are attached, however, they were not taken in the best conditions, but its all I have right now.

IMAG0007.jpg

IMAG0006.jpg

Advertisement
  2. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Well-Known Member

How about saran wrap instead. I wouldn't put a strong magnetic field near a phone.

3. civicsisedan

civicsisedan Well-Known Member

Why does he have the phone near him while working?\

There isn't a locker to store his gear or anything. We're not that important of people to have a phone on us 24/7 and if it's an emergency give the people who would need to know you work number.

Problem solved.

4. serpentine009

His cell is the only phone. This happened even with the phone in his pocket. Oh and it's his business. So yes, he is important enough to have his phone on him all the time. Various vendors and contractors call all day, and missing a call could mean losing a deal.

5. pattherat

pattherat Well-Known Member

I have that prob too. I've been using a magnet to clean out the fine metal dust from the speaker phone on the back with no bad effects that I can tell. Now that I think about it, it may not be a good idea. I never thought about taking of the back and covering it up with something...good idea...i'm thinking maybe scotch tape. The speaker is covered with an extremely fine screen/fabric so i don't think any metal is getting to the actual speaker magnet.

Some of us actually use our phones for business...Problem not solved!

6. superchaos

superchaos Well-Known Member

7. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Well-Known Member

Put the phone in a ziplock bag.

8. Az Scooter

Az Scooter Well-Known Member

I like the zip lock bag idea. I may use that. I have been leaving my phone in my truck, so that it would not get wet. My customers are actually big on Email, for a paper trail, so that would work for me. Hmm, Options.

9. serpentine009

He did get metal shavings behind that screen. Not sure how, but they're in there. He is not careless either.

10. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

I'm thinking put the phone in a back pocket or on a table far enough away that it won't get hit. With a Bluetooth headset (class 2 = 30 feet), you would be able to have the phone far enough to not get damaged. I think this would be the easiest solution, as long as the headset doesn't get in the way of a face guard.

11. DirtDiver

DirtDiver Member

I work in this type of enviroment as well... i put it in a ziplock bag and try to clean it often with compressed air when i do pull it out for use. However the dust already got to my camera lense. Cant wait for a seidio holster. And i think ill try some saran wrap over the speaker.

12. pattherat

I was wrong...most of the "metal dust" gets stopped by the mesh screen but some did get through to the celophane? or whatever that is covering the speaker. i don't think it could get through that to the actual speaker magnet though. Could this actually damage the speaker in the long run? I'm guessing the sound is a little worse from the vibrating dust but damaging it? I don't think so. Next step is to remove the screen and use a magnet to remove the remaing dust then scotch tape while i'm working. That might solve the speaker on the back but what to do about the earpeice. Maybe scotch tape that too and bluetooth headset while working. ziplock doesn't sound like a viable option.

13. wannainc

wannainc Well-Known Member

Some great ideas..If you think he needs even more protection why doesn't he combine them?

**Please try this! I just tried it on my own phone!

There is a saran wrap type product called "GLAD press n' seal". It is a little sticky so the edges will stay down but the adhesive will not stay on the phone when lifted off. Take the back cover off then put this over the same area he covered with a paper towel and stick down the edges..Then press this film around the entire phone to make sort of a weak vacuum seal that wont leave any stickyness behind.

Just tried it on my own phone. 1 small piece layed on the front of the phone..one small piece on the back...stick it down on the phone and press together on the sides to seal...I could still use the screen, make calls, and use the phone...but its a little cloudy due to the film...hope this helps!!:D

14. serpentine009

I should just have him sign up and post on here, so you guy can get the actual story. But I am pretty sure that he has kept the phone in his pocket. And it seems that this is fine enough to remain in the air even after cutting/grinding is done.

Weird thing too...I pulled my cover off and looked and I too had one little shaving laying on the screen. I think I got it through osmosis.

I don't think the battery door was meant to be removed often, and will, over time, get loose.

15. serpentine009

@wannainc, great idea.

16. pattherat

May have found a quick easy solution. I tore off about a third of a cotton ball completey covered the speaker and snapped the cover back on. I can't see anything getting past this and the sound is still good...looks promising. Now if I can just get to the earpiece. lol

17. zhill29

zhill29 Well-Known Member

I like the bluetooth headset idea. No metal shavings are going to fly 30 feet. In my line of work I do some welding and stuff, but not much. I only have a Razr currently (Incredible is in the mail) but I guess I have never had any problems with metal shavings getting in my phone. But like I said, I don't do too much of that kind of thing.

18. serpentine009

Does anyone make a Bluetooth Handset? Like a landline replacement phone?

19. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

I really don't think so A bluetooth phone to use instead of your phone? I don't see a huge market for that..

20. althornin

althornin Active Member

21. Topshelf

Topshelf Well-Known Member

I didn't read all the replys, so sorry if this has been mentioned. But how about putting the phone in something like this?

Aquapac Handheld Case - Android Central Store

Allows full use, and adding a BT headset would make things super easy.