1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

HD Playback

1. SS2006

SS2006 Active Member

Can the phone play back 720p movies, like the Omnia HD did
    Just ordered it but was kind of curious about this
    Thanks

Advertisement
  2. ManMythLegend

ManMythLegend Well-Known Member

3. SS2006

SS2006 Active Member

Is this because it is lacking hardware or software capabilities?

I'm sure the Nexus processor is faster then that of the Omnia

Can it play any form of high quality videos, not neccesiarly full 720p, what formats...

Thanks btw :)
  4. informale

informale Well-Known Member

Snapdragon is a mighty little beast, but I'm afraid for HD playback you'll have to wait for a phone on nVidia Tegra chip.
  5. SS2006

SS2006 Active Member

I see..
    So what was it on the Omnia HD that allowed to to play HD Movies
  6. informale

Nothing special, surprisingly. An ARM Cortex-A8 600 MHz CPU.

The point is, if Omnia is capable of recording 720p - encoding video - apparently, the chip responsible for hardware on-the-flight encode is also capable of video decoding. Just my theory.
  7. ManMythLegend

Much as I want HD playback. It would only be to keep one copy of HD clips. Not have to make 2 versions.

Thered be no point in watching HD on Nexus screen which is dvd resolution.
    Until we see 1280x720 res screens it wont matter much.
  8. informale

Well, some Nokia devices came with tv-out. If a phone had an HDMI out, you could use it instead of a standalone HD media player.
  9. ManMythLegend

Good point. Hadnt thought about Docks etc and how they could come into play.
  10. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

An Archos style dock for this type of device would be lovely!
  11. Y314K

Y314K Well-Known Member

Well... The Nexus One = HTC Bravo... Just with less stuff turned on...

A closer look at the updated specs of the Android-powered HTC Bravo – Android and Me

The HTC Bravo will have Divx playback + 720p vid recording... And if you can record a 720p vid... You "might" be able to playback your recorded 720p vid's @ 720p.. Wonder if this will be done without any down sampling...

Now the Nexus one won't be able to do any of the extra stuff the HTC Bravo can do without rooting & some Cyanogen magic... But anything the HTC Bravo can do should be able to be ported over to the Nexus without much hassle since they are identical although different looking twins...