HD video recording on Desire - possible?

Last Updated:

1. spirit44

spirit44 Member This Topic's Starter

From my understanding the Desire was originally supposed to have HD video recording, but this was ditched.

is it possible that a future firmware upgrade could allow HD recording, or the phone physically incapable of recording in HD?

apologies in advance if these are stupid questions....

Advertisement
  2. d.knight99

d.knight99 Well-Known Member

Yes, it is possible. However encoding HD video is a very complex job, even for such a capable handset. It has been reported that the Desire will receive a DivX software package in the near future that will enable 720p recording. This wasn't released at launch due to time constraints, apparently.

None of this is actually confirmed, but in terms of hardware all the boxes are ticked, it's just a case of working out all the codecs on HTC's end.

Dromineer and spirit44 like this.
  3. spirit44

spirit44 Member This Topic's Starter

thats great news, i really hope they do this

what an amazing phone, HD recording really would be the icing on the cake :D

are there any potential/rumoured dates for it? is it def going to happen?

4. d.knight99

It hasn't been 'explicitly' confirmed. HTC have a lot of work to do getting the DivX codecs onto Android in the first place, as Google don't have any native support.

From MobileTechWorld:

5. RambJoe

RambJoe Active Member

Sorry to be a n00b but I haven't owned an Android phone yet.

How would a firmware upgrade like this work? Would it be like Windows update, or would it be like installing a new version of Windows where you have to flash the phone?

Thanks. :)

6. d.knight99

The DivX package in question is not a firmware upgrade, it's a software package. The codecs are like applications that sit on top of the OS. However firmware updates are, to my knowledge, just updates. The device will take care of everything automatically, just 'like Windows update'.

Don't take my word on that as this is my first Android powered device too. But I can't imagine they would make it any more complicated than necessary, especially as a lot of customers have little technical knowledge.

RambJoe likes this.
  7. d.knight99

The DivX package in question is not a firmware upgrade, it's a software package. The codecs are like applications that sit on top of the OS. However firmware updates are, to my knowledge, just updates. The device will take care of everything automatically, just 'like Windows update'.

Don't take my word on that as this is my first Android powered device too. But I can't imagine they would make it any more complicated than necessary, especially as a lot of customers have little technical knowledge.

8. RambJoe

RambJoe Active Member

Thanks, that's good. :)

As I don't trust 3 to ever release new firmware roms, they never do. :(