• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root !hd video! Root optimus m 2.2.1

!!THIS METHOD IS OUTDATED!!! 5/25/11

DO NOT USE THIS METHOD.THERE IS A 1-CLICK ROOT FOR 2.2.1. ITS CALLED GINGERBREAK.LEAVING IT UP FOR ANYONE WHO MAY BENEFIT FROM THIS METHOD.

So heres a quick video i made for you guys to help you get your stock optimus m 2.2.1 rooted..i left out a few minor details like how to install the drivers and such..honestly,if you cant install drivers,you shouldnt be trying this..but anyways enjoy and please thank me if this helps you!!:D

part 1:
YouTube - ‪How to root optimus m with stock 2.2.1 (part 1)‬‏

part 2:
YouTube - ‪How to root optimus m with stock 2.2.1 (part 2) READ DESCRIPTION FIRST!‬‏

part 3:
YouTube - ‪How to root optimus m with stock 2.2.1 (part 3)‬‏

!!!UPDATE!!!

THIS METHOD IS OUTDATED!!!! THERE IS A 1-CLICK ROOT FOR 2.2.1 STOCK PHONES NOW..IT IS CALLED "GINGERBREAK".YOU CAN GET IT OFF APPLANET.OR SIMPLY GOOGLE IT.

THIS METHOD WILL STILL WORK BUT IS NOT RECOMMENDED DUE TO MORE OF A RISK OF BRICKING YOUR PHONE..BUT I WILL KEEP IT UP IN CASE ANYONE CAN BENEFIT FROM IT BY ANY MEANS.

now heres all 3 sections...now remember,i kinda made it in a rush (battery life,and sd card memory low)..also watch the video BEFORE you try this..make sure that your capable of doing this and feel pretty confident before to jump right in...thanks for watching and hope you get a "FLAWLESS VICTORY"!!!

Flawless victories are irrelevant without a Fatality to go along with it. Now I'm not wishing death on people here....just sayin'. LOL!

Upvote 0
So heres a quick video i made for you guys to help you get your stock optimus m 2.2.1 rooted..i left out a few minor details like how to install the drivers and such..honestly,if you cant install drivers,you shouldnt be trying this..but anyways enjoy and please thank me if this helps you!!:D

Dude what's up with your voice? You sound like Optimus Prime or something. Are you using autotune? :p

Upvote 0
Well I have never used a phone for anything other then talking on it..bought the LG a few days ago and followed these directions to a Tee and it rooted my stock LG with no issues the only stump I had is at the cmd prompt trying to get the # symbol after the $ was a bitch maybe i was to high to understand that I had to allow super user rights on the phone first but I didn't know it was asking since the phones screen was blacked out..lol

Anyhow thanks dude for the videos.

Now I can really screw this phone up my way!

Upvote 0
Well I have never used a phone for anything other then talking on it..bought the LG a few days ago and followed these directions to a Tee and it rooted my stock LG with no issues the only stump I had is at the cmd prompt trying to get the # symbol after the $ was a bitch maybe i was to high to understand that I had to allow super user rights on the phone first but I didn't know it was asking since the phones screen was blacked out..lol

Anyhow thanks dude for the videos.

Now I can really screw this phone up my way!

Your welcome!:D

Upvote 0
Anyone ever figured out how to remove the Metro Pcs boot screen logo..I got the sound out but can't seem to figure out how to change the logo?
I don't believe anyone's gotten it yet. An application able to read, edit, save as the extension .RLE that it's made in is still eluding the ones trying.
Is it possible to do a factory restore or to unroot after this process? I thought rooting this way broke restore mode so if something happens to the phone you are pretty much screwed.
You can use the LG Updater to restore your phone to factory default. It will return your phone to day one out of the factory 2.2.1+bloatware.

Upvote 0
mikekelso421, I was going to go ahead and get your baby some diapers, but.. Decided to try doing this myself. I am proud to say I have a fully rooted 2.2.1. Optimus M.
It took some doing to get things going. I lost service, lost capability of installing apps from the market (through computer). Lost everything practically. I kept trying though and after 6 hours (yea, tell me about it), it is now rooted and have some bloat removed.

It kind of a shame to have some many topics and links around here. Somebody should do a post with all the correct information in it, without the links to other topics. It would make life so much easier for newbies like me.

I appreciate your work and the quick reply through PM. Now I am going to go play a little bit.

Upvote 0
your welcome techsys.its a tricky ass process but it works for the time being.lol i actually bricked my friends last night doing it :( LGNPST stopped halfway and the damn program went into emergency mode and effing erased the god dang ESN!!! i need to put a warning on this video!! lol even though if your trying to do this to your phone,you should know the risk already..but your welcome again. :)

Upvote 0
Don't think it's bricked, trust me. I thought mine was bricked. Yea, it did not show the ESN or anything that is phone specific. I went through the process again, slowly, and got everything back. I had even formatted the SD card. I thought I lost all my contacts and details, but, when I went through the steps the last time, everything worked. I have my contacts and data. My SD card is back to where it was. Everything is like it was before I started trying to root, well, except for the safe things to remove. Phone runs so much smoother now.
I think I went through the steps a total of 4 times before I caught everything I was missing. I somehow was missing the superuser install which wasn't letting me do the su command. I guess you know that without that nothing else is going to happen.

For those that are thinking about doing this. I did not use CDMA workshop to get my SPC code. I used an online MEID converter and got the code that way. CDMA workshop did not work on my windows7 ultimate 64bit. Not sure why.

At 43% the phone will reboot. During the reboot the percentage will jump to around 68%. The phone will actually reboot twice, well, at least mine did.

If you get to where you can not install a terminal program, you can get an apk from the internet. Then install it like you did the superuser. This will give you the terminal to do the command line stuff. It's a little harder, but after a few tries, I think I could do it again.

I wonder if my wife will allow me to root her Optimus M? Doubt it. (she's not into doing stuff like that and more scared of screwing things up than I was)

Upvote 0
alright. i got windows 7 E 64bit.. Pirate copy. haha.. When i open Lgnpst and turn my phone on debugging, my shit look different then whats on the video. For one, my pull down screen doesn't show Debuggin, i have to manually go to Applications, development, then turn it on... and it makes the sound like it's on, but doesn't show anything.. Second, Once i switch debugging on, it turn the usb connection off?.. what am i doing wrong? any suggestions?

Upvote 0
When you plug in the phone it'll want to use usb mass storage. This is mainly for copying files to and from the SD card. When you turn on debugging it will disconnect the usb mass storage but keep the phone connected to the computer for Lgnpst and adb shell to work. Those two programs will not work with debugging turned off.
I had to switch debugging off and on a few times to get things working proper.

As far as your stuff looking different than what is in the video. I can't tell you what's up without seeing what your stuff looks like. Maybe somebody else can help on that part.

Upvote 0
I am having a problem with the error message: Fail to load skin.dll . I have unzipped the LGNPST folder from my download location to the desktop. Then installed the three files and the driver, then restarted my computer. When it booted back up I copied the model folder to the lg electronics folder and dragged the .dll file over reggie. Then I extracted the zv root folder to the C drive. After that I copied the LGNPST program from the unzipped folder on my desktop to the LG Electronics folder on my c drive. I created the shortcut, then tried to open the program and get that error message. What did I do wrong?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones