HDMI cable to non-HDMI

Last Updated:

1. RhinoDoc

RhinoDoc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I searched and cannot find an answer for this:

I have not been to a hotel with a TV with an HDMI input, they typically have the red/white/yellow inputs. Is there a cable that is micro HDMI on one end and the three on the other end? I realize it won't be HDMI quality, but i could at least put movies up on the TV from my phone.

Advertisement
  2. BigHAZE

BigHAZE Well-Known Member

There is no such cable. HDMI is digital and the red/white/yellow is analog. You would need an intermediary converter box, which would defeat the purpose of portability. I would like such a cable to hook my EVO into my wife's 2010 Sienna so that the kids could watch video from my slingbox on the ceiling mounted DVD player. Right now they just use a laptop when I turn on the HOTSPOT feature on my EVO, but the integrated car unit has some sweet RF headsets they wear so we can listen to the radio.

All of my "SJ" devices play out to analog devices fine. Wish my EVO did.

3. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

doesn't exist, your asking for digital to analog, and you will need an expensive convert to do this.

4. Braaainz

Braaainz Well-Known Member

Last time I saw an ad for a device that will do what you're asking, I think it was $269 USD

5. htcevolee

htcevolee Well-Known Member

6. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Converting to analog/component is straightforward and cheap enough -

Amazon.com: HDMI to 5 RCA Component AV Converter: Electronics - 55 smackers

I've been in hotels that had TVs with component hookups - not very often though.

Doing what you want is NOT as cheap, but it is easy.

That yellow RCA cable in the red/white (audio) /yellow bundle you mention is composite video and there's your problem:

The HDMI out on the Evo, so far as I know, is strictly 480p or 720p - a composite cable is designed strictly for 480i.

To get from point A to point B you need a video scalar built into the adapter, hence the higher price.

As someone who's been in your shoes many times (I miss my Sony Vaio laptop, it was a champ at outputting video to a hotel TV) I'd recommend the Gefen - it's a top brand for this sort of thing.

Amazon.com: GefenTV HDMI to Composite Scaler: Electronics about 225 clams

I've used their other DVI and HDMI boxes and have always been pleased.

Hope this helps.

CriticalCritic likes this.
  7. RhinoDoc

Thanks all. If it was something I could do for $25-30 it would be worth it. I don't find myself in that position often enough to spend $100-200.

8. Vincent Law

Vincent Law Well-Known Member

Yeah, you won't find one for that price. It requires some actual hardware to do that kind of conversion. Your typical cheapo adapter just moves wires around, not convert a signal :p

9. RhinoDoc

Just a followup on my own thread:

I bought an HDMI cable and took it with me the past 2 weekends for out of town softball tournaments with my daughter. BOTH hotels had ancillary HDMI inputs and it worked great! I guess more hotels are upgrading their televisions. I stayed in a Hilton Garden Inn and a Courtyard by Marriott.

10. effluent

effluent Well-Known Member

How about Micro HDMI to component?

11. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Seriously? Micro HDMI is the same as HDMI, just a smaller connector. And again, there is no "cable" to convert the two. You need a powered converter/scaler to do this.