HDMI out? Can root give this?

Last Updated:

1. serpa4

serpa4 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'd like HDMI out for movies on my phone. I heard you cannot do anything but movies shot with the camera vs. my movies I loaded onto the memory card. I haven't tried yet since I heard it wasn't possible stock.

Advertisement
  2. krichek

krichek Well-Known Member

You can already do it. The only thing you can't do is stream web content (like youtube) or output the movies from the blockbuster app. Otherwise if your videos can be played by the default player you're fine.

3. maddog76

maddog76 Member

Hopefully someone can fix this. I would love to hook up the HDMI to my TV and play some super nintendo.

4. shaundizzle

shaundizzle Member

man i was looking forward to getting a droid x and streaming movies via hdmi.

oh well im hoping someone can fix this via root. i wish i had the knowledge on how to do these things

5. krichek

Scroll up, did you miss my comment? You CAN output your videos to your TV through HDMI so long as it will play in the native player...

Copy some movies from your computer, create your own, whatever. So long as they play in the native player they will play through HDMI...

6. shaundizzle

shaundizzle Member

Yes I read what you said.

I'm hoping for hdmi out to be able to display YouTube and blockbuster

7. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

Yeah it would be awesome just to be able to display anything on the droid x screen on a tv through hdmi. Emulators + wii mote + hdmi out = awesome. You tube would be great also.

8. serpa4

Wonder if root will allow 3rd party apps to do hdmi out vs native player. Hope that a new rom isn't required.

9. Jbart15

Jbart15 Well-Known Member

So you're saying no luck for sling player on hdmi out

10. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

I hope it can because I am buying a sling box and the app in a month. Can anyone confirm if it does or doesn't work?

11. dimitri407

dimitri407 Well-Known Member

What is the point of having the Blockbuster app on our DX if you can't stream it with HDMI Out. Come on. That's just BS.

12. newtype06

newtype06 Active Member

That is pretty gay. I wanna play emulators on my TV.....

13. krichek

It's Blockbuster, what did you expect? These guys are facing bankruptcy and still don't get it! Hopefully the Netflix app when it hits will do HDMI out.

14. syntrix

syntrix Well-Known Member

Any tips on getting hdmi to work when playing videos though the native player?

I can't even get my tv to recognize the HDMI input as active.

15. scott6003

scott6003 Member

I will pick up a hdmi out cable tomorrow and test it with my slingbox/player

16. serpa4

Using rockplayer I can play my stored flv files, but how sad that hdmi out is only for the native player! Anyone know if it takes a 3rd party app to support hdmi our, root, or new rom?

17. Old Man

Old Man Well-Known Member

The Droid X has a screen an audio system of its own, thus it already provides support for personal viewing. The HDMI output is effectively adding a second playback device and since the HDMI output is a digital signal that likely gets into all sorts of Digital Rights Management and HDCP issues. So there may be two aspects involved in getting some of the sources noted at the HDMI output, one being whether the DX hardware can support HDMI out for HDCP protected media and the other being if there are legal rights management issues regarding what can be available at the HDMI output. I don't think that these aspects would be addressed by Motorola or any of the content providers, or necessarily legally by anybody, at least without additional expense and/or fees.

And to be clear, I am not trying to take a stance on copyright, HDCP or digital rights management, just pointing out that these are likely a factor in what can be displayed on the Droid X HDMI output.

18. xdroid

xdroid Well-Known Member

You actually have to start PLAYING the video in order for your TV to recognize any incoming signal. It's absolutely ******ed. I have to stare at a blue screen on my HDTV until I actually press play on the phone.

I see absolutely no reason why the HDMI cannot work just like you would expect any video out to work from a netbook or laptop or heck, even a regular video recorder.

It is absolutely absurd to me how they implemented this. I just got the HDMI cable yesterday and shame on me for assuming that it would work like I expected. It's bad enough for me to return the cable or bad enough to make me want to root the device for the sole purpose of making HDMI work properly (if root can even do anything for it).

19. syntrix

syntrix Well-Known Member

I figured it out eventually. Basically auto-sensing tv's may not switch or show equipment (the x) on the port.

So I had to put it into an active port, then launch the video. Wonder if this is different if you are plugged into a power adapter.

20. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

In other words it can't have DRM protected movies.

21. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

Working properly and working the way you want it to are two different things:rolleyes:

22. mmarti16

mmarti16 Well-Known Member

off topic - if you are using .avi or any other file type which a ps3 or xbox will support you can use the dlna server to stream.

23. sodaboy581

sodaboy581 Well-Known Member

The funny thing about this is that it SHOULD be allowing DRM protected movies over HDMI.

One of the big things about HDMI is it's ability to create a secure digital connection (HDCP) to output copy protected stuff.

DRM protected content like Blockbuster and YouTube should be allowed over HDMI with no issue, unless an HDCP link cannot be established between your TV and the phone.

24. pattherat

pattherat Well-Known Member

there is another post on here that says you can play blockbuster movies on your tv through a dvr. supposedly on page 21 of the manual.

edit -
    nevermind the section reads:

Blockbuster On Demand is a service that allows you to
    purchase or rent and download video assets from your
    mobile phone. After purchase or rental, you can play
    back the content on your mobile phone or on PCs or
    TVs that are connected to a TiVo​

25. Old Man

Old Man Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen anything saying the HDMI output is implementing HDCP? The fact that people are saying their TVs won't recognize the Droid X until it is playing seems to indicate that there is no 'handshaking' happening that would occur on connection if HDCP was involved.