• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HDMI out threw mini hdmi cable to tv?

I've seen you can do It with a rooted phone. Pretty much do everything you do on your phone but transfer it to a tv/monitor. I'm not rooted and dont plan to be, is there a way for me to do this?

I know that you said you don't plan to root, but my advice would to do it. I wasn't really planning on rooting either, but now that I have I can say that it was easy and I do not regret it at all. You can root, stay with the stock ROM, flash a custom kernel, and the only thing you will notice that's different about your Evo is that you would then have full HDMI mirroring to your TV. Other than that, everything else would be the same as it is now.

Don't read this as me pressuring you to root -- if you don't want to root, then don't root. I just wanted to make sure you knew that rooting only "changes" your phone as much as you want it to.

Upvote 0
Well this makes me want to root my Evo all the more now. It's just hard to because Sprints will void the warranty and my insurance on the phone would be worthless cuz they won't touch my evo if its rooted :(

I have actually heard nothing but good things about Sprint servicing rooted phones. Generally speaking, if it's a physical issue with your phone, they will still take care of you whether or not you are rooted. You can also "unroot" and flash everything back to stock if you ever need to take the phone back.

Upvote 0
Rooted with a stock ROM and custom kernel is a great setup for those who aren't really looking to customize their UI but want to have access to all that the hardware offers. HDMI mirroring is a fairly recent feature. You also get:

much improved touch tracking sensitivity
5 pt multitouch
ability to wifi-tether or USB tether for free
ability to over- or under-clock your CPU
take screenshots
put apps completely on your SD card (a2sd)
make NANDroid backups/restores (complete image of your internal memory)
use your own splash screen and boot animation
remove the bundled carrier crapware
send/receive files wirelessly to your phone
set up your phone with various servers: web server, FTP, VNC, ssh, etc.
and lots of other stuff I can't think of right now

Of course you don't need to utilize all of this stuff. but it's there if and when you're ready to try it out.

Upvote 0
I just bought the ballistic hc case and that things a brick so I'm thinkin about taken the insurance off my phone anyway. I just though if I root my phone its gonna be a blank slate and I have to rebuild everything. I just want to get the crappy preinstalled apps off and move all of mine to the SD card and get the free tethering and hdmi out. I want to keep everything on my phone the same lookin, I'm not that into makin my phone completely custom and dont have time to do It lol. So I can just root it and install the rooted apps to do what I need to and nothing else will affect my phone? What's the best and easiest way to root?

Upvote 0
I used unrEVOked with a lot of hand-holding by way of the Rooting for Dummies thread located HERE.

Again, it was relatively painless. I decided to flash Myn's Warm 2.2 ROM rather than stay with stock because Myn's is similar to stock but just improved in every way. It was easier to flash the ROM than do each of the improvements to the stock ROM one at a time myself. Again, just opinion, but depending on the features you're interested in obtaining thriugh rooting, you may want to consider going with a similar ROM.

Upvote 0
I've hurd of unrevoked. I'll def. Have to look at those threads because idk what a kernel or Rom is lol. Thanks for the help.

Most people don't know those things until they root for the first time. It's really not hard. It's actually much more difficult to install an operating system and/or apps on a personal computer.

This is a great forum for helping out those new to rooting, too. I highly recommend reading that whole Rooting for Dummies thread -- it's very informative and gave me the confidence and knowledge to root my Evo.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones