HDMI output, how to fill screen?Tips

Last Updated:

1. jcj487

jcj487 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hello all,

Ive been raking my brains trying to figure out how to play 720p movies on my HDTV in 16:9 aspect ratio (or 1.78), whereas it would fill the screen of the HDTV nicely just like Niko does it in this thread http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g...vo-playback-hd-720p-movies-over-hdmi-out.html. I have a couple of 720p bluray movie files on my PC that i want to encode but now im not even really sure if they are really 720p. When i upload them into handbrake, it says that the source resolution is 1280x544 and the other one 1280x528 with a 2.35 aspect ratio. Doesnt the second number have to be 720 in order to be considered true 720p HD resolution? Everytime i try and change the 528 to 720 on hanbrake, it doesnt let me. And also handbrake doesnt havent an option where you can change the aspect ratio. When i finish encoding, i get the stupid black bars. i realize the video file might have been shot in a 2.35 aspect ratio or whatever but when i play it in VLC it allows me to change it to 16:9. Basically, I want the video to come out in 1280x720, 16:9, 1.78 resolution and aspect ratio as its default settings. This would be much easier if VLC was playable on Android. At the end of the day, im just trying to find out how to watch 720p video on the HDTV in fullscreen or almost fullscreen (i know theres a couple of inches of black bars in 16:9) just like the guy in the thread above. If some1 could give me a hand here i would really appreciate it.

Advertisement
  2. sitlet

sitlet Banned

You already have asked this question in the other thread. And I answered it. No need to make a new post.

3. jcj487

Ive been raking my brains trying to figure out how to play 720p movies on my HDTV in 16:9 aspect ratio (or 1.78), whereas it would fill the screen of the HDTV nicely just like Niko does it in this thread Video Demo: HTC Evo playback of HD/720p movies over HDMI out. I have a couple of 720p bluray movie files on my PC that i want to encode but now im not even really sure if they are really 720p. When i upload them into handbrake, it says that the source resolution is 1280x544 and the other one 1280x528 with a 2.35 aspect ratio. Doesnt the second number have to be 720 in order to be considered true 720p HD resolution? Everytime i try and change the 528 to 720 on hanbrake, it doesnt let me. And also handbrake doesnt havent an option where you can change the aspect ratio. When i finish encoding, i get the stupid black bars. i realize the video file might have been shot in a 2.35 aspect ratio or whatever but when i play it in VLC it allows me to change it to 16:9. Basically, I want the video to come out in 1280x720, 16:9, 1.78 resolution and aspect ratio as its default settings. This would be much easier if VLC was playable on Android. At the end of the day, im just trying to find out how to watch 720p video on the HDTV in fullscreen or almost fullscreen (i know theres a couple of inches of black bars in 16:9) just like the guy in the thread above. If some1 could give me a hand here i would really appreciate it.

4. sitlet

sitlet Banned

5. jcj487

yea i accidently posted it on the tips and trick forum which nobody goes on, calm down. you answered my question but it didnt work though. handbrake wont let me change the resolution from 1280x544 to 1280x720 even if the keep aspect resolution is unchecked

6. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

That first link by sitlet seems to have been eaten by the server crash. (?)

I'll leave handbrake to its user experts - I just want to toss out a little on HDTV.

The answer to your question - doesn't it have to go to 720 (in other words, wall-to-wall 16:9 to be HDTV - no, not at all.

Few movies are shot in 16x9 - most have an intended aspect ratio (aka original aspect ratio or OAR) that's quite different.

If you remember people complaining about DVD letterbox movies on a regular 4:3 TV - because some of the screen is missing - you _seem_ to be having the HD equivalent of the same complaint.

16x9 is a compromise format, good for many widescreen sources. If you have a broad collection of movies, old and modern, domestic and foreign, you'll get black bars on the top/bottom or sides when _preserving exactly what was shown in a theater_.

Cropping it to full screen is a pleasant move for many folks - but it's actually form a editing - it's changing what the director used as the canvas to paint the story on.

See also:

Aspect ratio (image) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pan and scan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is specific to 4:3 vs. letterbox - but the principle's the same -

YouTube - Wide Screen VS Full Screen

Now, if after all of that, you want to toss out the OAR and force it to 1280x720, ok, that's up to you - but you'll need to _zoom_ to do that - not stretch 500+ lines into 720 - everything will look silly-puttied if you do (or even can).

Either way - 2.39:1 movie format at 1280 wide - _is_ 720p HD, no question about it.

salpiche likes this.
  7. jcj487

How exactly do i do that though? Force it into a 1280x720 resolution?

8. EarlyMon

You'll have to follow sitlet's advice in the other thread - the entire concept is foreign to me, as is your claim there that you don't see a difference when you stretch it out.

I see you mentioned there that VLC can muck about with aspect formats and that you therefore expect handbrake to do that.

VLC is a tool made by video professionals for video professionals - it's _their_ Swiss Army Knife media player. The rest of us using it are simply enjoying their largesse.

That said - VLC is a player - handbrake is a transcoder.

Why not stop trying to mess up the transcoding and simply use a zoomable movie player?

Act 1 Video Player for the Android platform (G1, myTouch, Hero, Droid, Nexus 1, Incredible)

9. sitlet

sitlet Banned

I already explained his two options in the other thread. I told him you can stretch it up to fill, or zoom and crop off the sides. He told me he wanted to stretch it, so thats what ive been trying to get him to do. I literally explained it step by step and he still says he cant get it to work. I dont know how else to help him, I've done this hundreds of times and it works just fine.

10. EarlyMon

Yeap - saw that. You too have the patience of an oyster, compadre.

I was hoping the idea of a zoomable viewer would simply solve this for him.

I posted here so as to not hijack the other thread with viewer advice in light of the handbrake advice you were giving.

Book of Five Rings - two swords are better than one, especially when it's your intention to enter a crowded room and take prisoners. ;)

Stay frosty.