HDMI Question

Last Updated:

1. DrawnToScale

DrawnToScale New Member This Topic's Starter

Watching HD video on a large screen via HDMI sounds great - but what about just putting the home screen on a larger screen? If a bluetooth keyboard & mouse could be hooked up - then the EVO starts looking like a desktop/notebook replacement. One could surf the internet on the large screen and not pay for the hotspot. Any mention of using the EVO this way?

Advertisement
  2. katmandoo122

katmandoo122 Well-Known Member

Haven't seen much talk of it but at best it would be a NETbook replacement. Lack of true Office Suite capability would gimp its use as a desktop or business laptop replacement.

Still, entirely possible in the future. The rumor that the new iPhone wiill have the Arm 4 processor (being an indication of proc power in the future) makes me believe that handsets will replace laptops in the next 10 years and kill the tablet idea.

3. blackatom

blackatom Member

I have no idea how HDMI will work, or what the SDK will allow us to do. Aside from using the phone's internal browser to surf, one could use RDP (Remote Desktop). There are plenty of good RDP clients out for android. I'd like to see RDP over HDMI out and hook up a bluetooth kb/mouse into the mix. Essentially you'll be carrying around a portable thin client to your PC at home. Since the EVO is only used to render and not process data, you could do all sorts of tasks on whichever box you're RDPing into.

I've used RDP over 3g on a droid, the speed is just fine as long as you're not playing videos obviously. Over 4g I'm sure RDP + bluetooth kb/mouse+hdmi would be an amazing combination.

I doubt i'll ever do this aside from experimenting, but the fact that it CAN be done with such a device is a great great thing.

We also don't know any specs on the HDMI out. We all know that it can play 720p video, but I'm curious if the GPU has the capability to drive higher resolutions to monitors. I'm not talking about playing 1080p movies, i'm talking about outputting RDP at a higher res than 1280x720.

4. tknv

tknv New Member

I agree that idea,also I trying, But no success.
    Many android devices only out put HDMI for video or pics. and moreover out put HDMI is so buggy, sometime hung up android system and show only broken pics.
    It is not easy to show Application on HDMI.
    Some company allow access to HDMI by API.
    Or make RDP client from scratch to use HDMI...

5. NeoteriX

NeoteriX Well-Known Member

Moreover, the bluetooth stack in the current version of Android does not support Bluetooth HID (Human Interface Devices) so you can't use a bluetooth mouse or keyboard with the Evo.

6. kingtheproducer

kingtheproducer Well-Known Member

Thats an interesting concept @blackatom. Lets keep this thread going. As for katmandoo122, no disrespect but mentioning that a "future" iPhone will have a such thing, is annoying, they are just perdictions. I can say that the Evo 2 (Which will more than likely come out before the iPhone5) will have a dual core processor, running 3.0 gingerbread, which will make this thread idea TOTALLY possible, but Its just my imagination.

Let Steve focus on multi-tasking and antennagates before he messes with a powerful OS.

7. uniquenameEVO

uniquenameEVO Well-Known Member

Not quite right. It's HTCs bluetooth stack with that issue. Running a rom like cm6 and you can use HID devices.

There is at least one dev working on outputting the UI fully over HDMI.

8. ep3n3wp

ep3n3wp Well-Known Member

I think that cm6 is working on this very thing...

They are getting and I believe it already has thee bluetooth hid stack working to connect key board and mouse... And almost had full hdmi out... So it is close and being worked on right now...

9. NeoteriX

NeoteriX Well-Known Member

True, I should have been more clear that I was referring to a stock, unrooted HTC build.