• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Heading to Europe: Some tips? Questions...

AJWE

Lurker
Jul 9, 2010
Hi,

My wife and I are about to head to Eastern Europe (Hungary) for a trip and I'm wondering how to get the most out of our Android phones (I have a Motorola DROID and she has a HTC Eris, Verizon is the provider). I'm hoping somebody can offer some tips and/or answer a few questions:

Simple one, first: We won't be able to use the devices as normal cell phones, right? And so, one tip, I suppose, is to turn off roaming in order to help preserve battery life?

I had hoped that my wife and I might be able to communicate via Skype Mobile, but it seems (from what I've read) that Skype won't work in Europe on these devices, even if we're in a WiFi area. Is there some other tool that would allow us to chat via these devices just using WiFi Internet access from Europe? I know there are a few times when we'll be in different places within the town and it would be handy to be able to communicate about logistics! Text messaging won't work, right?

Speaking of finding each other, I'm thinking of trying an app like Google Latitude. That *should* work, if we're both in a WiFi area, right? Or does that need another messaging protocol that we won't have access to in Europe?

We should be able to use them to check email and surf the web, as long as we have WiFi access, right? (Our hotel claims it's free.)

I've downloaded both MapDroyd and OruxMaps apps and have pre-loaded both of them with map data for our destination cities. MapDroyd was very easy, though its vector-based data is less detailed than the OruxMaps. OruxMaps was rather tricky, as it requires a couple of steps on the PC to create our own maps for areas we will visit, though it does let you use Google Map data so that's a nice plus. I figure between the two of them we ought to be able to figure out where we are! Silly question, though: The GPS function in the Droid ought to work even if the phone features don't, right?

For re-charging, all I should need is an adapter to make the prongs compatible since the power cable that came with the phone says it can handle 220V. Is that correct?

I've downloaded some books for the new Kindle App (works great!) and will load some more music for the long flight over (though battery worries might cause me to bring the actual Kindle, too) and to minimize book-carrying.

Any other recommendations for making the Droids a very helpful tool on the trip? Here's one I can think of: Print everything out in case the phone doesn't work or disappears! :eek:

I hope this information and any responses will be helpful to others in a similar situation...

Thanks!!!

-AJWE

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones