Headphone jack problem?Support

Last Updated:

1. wallstreet123456

wallstreet123456 Well-Known Member

When I use the headphones that came with the S4 everything sounds fine but when I plug the phone into my car to hear over the cars audio system it makes a crackling/popping sound but I believe only while the charger is also connected.

Is there a know issue with the headphone jack?

Advertisement
  2. tastycaramel

tastycaramel Guest

From what I know, the crackling sound made is only during plugging in. After that, it should be fine.
  3. wallstreet123456

I guess that is a bonus feature? :p
  4. tastycaramel

tastycaramel Guest

5. Sierra255

Sierra255 Well-Known Member

Make sure the cable is plugged in all the way. When I first plugged in my headphones, I got poor sound until I realized the cord wasn't plugged in all the way. There was a second click I didn't notice was needed at first.
  6. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

There have been issues with third party headphones although I have not experienced them myself. I remember reading that owners of some Sennheiser headphones (so not crappy ones) had exactly this problem.

Since it didn't affect me, I didn't take a great deal of notice but I dare say that a quick Google will lead you to the problem and its resolution if there was one.

[Edit]

Here you go http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2258831. Ominously, the thread is 51 pages long.
  7. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

Usually the impedance from an audio cable is greater than 16 ohms, unless a real thin short cable. There is an apparent issue with the Qualcomm version of the S4 and connections to the 3.5mm jack of less than 16 ohms.
  8. tastycaramel

tastycaramel Guest

So far, I have no issues with my S4 on the audio jack part. I am currently using the stock S4 earphones and my Sony headphones.
  9. Tware

Tware Well-Known Member

probably a ground loop, since the charger is involved.
  10. tastycaramel

tastycaramel Guest

I think this is normal because you are charging the device as well as using the audio jack at the same time.
  11. wallstreet123456

Wasn't normal with my older phones.
  12. tastycaramel

tastycaramel Guest

Well, then have you tried using the stock earphones with the S4? As in not putting it in a car charger and just listen music with it normally?
  13. Tware

Tware Well-Known Member

get a ground loop isolator and a 12v outlet. tuck it away under the console (they are unsightly), will help alot.
  14. AdmSuvvuk

AdmSuvvuk Well-Known Member

Mine did it too. I solved it by purchasing a line filter from amazon.com and plugged it in between the phone and the jack. Crystal clear now.
  15. tastycaramel

tastycaramel Guest

What's that for?
  16. AdmSuvvuk

AdmSuvvuk Well-Known Member

TWARE called a ground loop isolater. That is probably the best term to use. The hum/buzz appears to be electrical interference between the phone's charging port and the headphone jack. Putting the ground loop isolator in the middle filters out the extra noise. It works really well and I picked mine up for about $6. They wanted $20 at Radio Shack so it pays to go online.
  17. tastycaramel

tastycaramel Guest

Oh okay.