• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Headphones crackling hardware or software?

potatolover1102

Android Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2009
Houston, Texas
I have a problem on my droid where when I use headphones it crackles and is really annoying. I have a pair of Bose over the ear headphones that have no issue on any other source however on the droid the crackling make me want to throw it across the room. Although many would jump to hardware, the catch is that it is only on random songs and the same ones each time. So it does it randomly on pandora on the same songs every time and not on any in my library but the actual external speaker will crackle on random ones as well. Any suggestions? Maybe it will be addressed in 2.1? Or am I the only one with this issue? I know about the one at max volume but this is very different.

I have a problem on my droid where when I use headphones it crackles and is really annoying. I have a pair of Bose over the ear headphones that have no issue on any other source however on the droid the crackling make me want to throw it across the room. Although many would jump to hardware, the catch is that it is only on random songs and the same ones each time. So it does it randomly on pandora on the same songs every time and not on any in my library but the actual external speaker will crackle on random ones as well. Any suggestions? Maybe it will be addressed in 2.1? Or am I the only one with this issue? I know about the one at max volume but this is very different.

I had crackling in my sony earphones but when i tried my bose headphones the crackling went away.. Maybe you have old wornout headphones?

Upvote 0
Does it crackle only when jostled or moved, or when completely still? If it crackles when the jack is moved or twisted, I suspect it may be a poor connection. If it does so at random when the cord is unperturbed, I don't know...

I had mildly crackling headphones that then developed into sound cutting in an out and the music player randomly starting and stopping when the headphone cord was moved. I use the phone primarily as a music/media device and it seemed to be a use-exacerbated problem. The issue was less severe with some headphones than others (so clearly, the build of the connector mattered) but when it came down to it, it was a bad connection on the side of the droid.

I exchanged (outside the 30d but under warranty) and haven't had any problems, despite heavy usage, since.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
I think that I have come to the idea that an exchange is in order lol. Oh and no these are a brand new pair of Bose headphones that i got last month so they are not worn out :eek: rofl! I also have the whole media player just stops at the slightest movement so I think I am willing to give up my droid. I did not want to because I had like 6 storm's and wanted to be able to finally keep an original phone rofl but now I think it is time!

Upvote 0

Sounds like a Pandora issue if it's the same songs and it happens with the external speaker as well. I've heard Pandora and Slacker can have those issues. The headphone jack would have nothing to do with that and an exchange would do nothing...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones