• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Headphones not detected, ToggleHeadset2 crackling audio

superlou

Feb 19, 2011
The other day the headphone port on my Atrix stopped detecting plugged in headphones. I tried a couple different pairs to be safe, and all the headphones work with other audio sources. Playback from the phone speaker works fine.

I've looked into the headphone port and don't see any large pieces of lint near the contacts, though it looks like there's something white at the bottom of the port past the third contact. If someone with a working port could look into theirs and let me know if that's normal, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I found that if I use ToggleHeadset2 to force audio output, I can hear crackling from the headphones, so long as the volume is at the highest one or two levels.

I've tried tapping the phone in various locations, so I don't think it's a bad solder joint, and the phone hasn't gotten wet recently.

I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem? My phone is past warranty, and apparently the deductible is more significant than thought, so I'm open to pretty much anything.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones