Headphones with built in mic and controlsAccessories

1. reallynotnick

reallynotnick Well-Known Member

I am currently an iPhone user and I like to listen to music a lot on my phone, even though they really are not great earbuds I love the built in mic and button on the earbuds. I really like the new designs they have with the volume included on the controller but I find it pretty easy just to use the volume controls in my pocket as my 2G iPhone doesn't support them.

I was looking for a new pair of earbuds as mine are falling apart after 2 years of use. I'm mainly concerned as to wether the controls will work with the EVO because the Klipsch S4i which was I was looking at seems to not work with android. I was wondering if anyone knows of headphones that do and possibly some recommendations. I'm not a huge audiophile and the $100 for the S4i was kind of breaking the bank so something a little cheaper would be nice.

Here is what my iPhone headphones can do
    Single press starts music in any app and pauses it while playing
    Double press skips song
    Triple press goes back a song
    When the phone is ringing press the button to pause the music and answer the call, music resumes after the call is done
    Volume controls

Advertisement
  2. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

Lots of cell phone headphones have integrated mics but I don't know about the extended functionality of media player control. Sounds like it would have to be specific to a phone or at least the OS because it would have to pass that signal down the wire by breaking a circuit or whatever and then have the media player recognize that as a command.
  3. Eguy

Eguy Well-Known Member

Those commands you are talking about are built into the iPhone's media player. They would have to be built into the Android music player for them to work. I have no idea if Android supports them.
  4. reallynotnick

reallynotnick Well-Known Member

That's why I am asking because once you have controls on your headphones and never have to take your phone out of your pocket there is no going back.

I know there are plenty of iPhone compatible headsets with controls but I just don't know if there is a way to get them to work with android. The earbuds just have a standard 3 ringed connection so I'm guessing that when you press the button it sends a signal down the mic wire. I assume there has to be some how but I want to know before I plunk down for an EVO and some new earbuds.
  5. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

I think the EVO supports A2DP bluetooth technology, which mean you can have a stereo bluetooth devices. Mine has a button for answer/drop a call, a button for pause/play, a button each for next track, previous track, volume up and volume down. I wold check it out if I were you.
  6. Bek

Bek Well-Known Member

I took a quick poke around an accessory store and found this:

HTC Wired Remote Control Stereo Headset for CellularSouth HTC Hero / HTC Hero, Magic / Sprint Hero / T-Mobile myTouch 3G, myTouch 3G Fender - Android Central Store

Seems there needs to be an add-on driver for it. Though comments left are unclear whether it actually does work for Android or not.

In either case, I think this is worth a bit more research. I listen to music using Etymotic ER-6i's via my iPod, while riding my motorcycle, and would love to have a fully integrated solution to work with the Evo. The Etymotic hf2's are close but would love to also be able to control music and such as these can.
  7. Bek

Bek Well-Known Member

I took a quick poke around an accessory store and found this:

HTC Wired Remote Control Stereo Headset for CellularSouth HTC Hero / HTC Hero, Magic / Sprint Hero / T-Mobile myTouch 3G, myTouch 3G Fender - Android Central Store

Seems there needs to be an add-on driver for it. Though comments left are unclear whether it actually does work for Android or not.

In either case, I think this is worth a bit more research. I listen to music using Etymotic ER-6i's via my iPod, while riding my motorcycle, and would love to have a fully integrated solution to work with the Evo. The Etymotic hf2's are close but would love to also be able to control music and such as these can.
  8. cabbie

cabbie Well-Known Member

I saw this a few months ago when I was looking for the same thing and the reason I didn't buy it is because theres still the two exact reviews there as last time. One very good one very bad, which is why i didnt buy it
  9. Bek

Bek Well-Known Member

Further research indicates that there's no Android based solution available. It only works with WinMo phones.

Though I wonder what it'd really take, to develop drivers to accomplish this.
  10. Bek

Bek Well-Known Member

NSXLA likes this.
  11. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

Look up the reviews on these. Lots say they have issues with durability.

Static/crosstalk has been a problem with BT stereo headphones, esp. if any type of noise-cancellation is a part of the mic.

I'm still looking for an Android-specific wired headphone set with mic, but they just don't seem to be prevalent yet. Most of the reviews I've seen said ones build for iPod/Phone control don't have full functionality with Android.

Wonder why there hasn't been a rush to come up with Android-compatible headsets? Has anything from xda for drivers been released?
  12. Roman G.

Roman G. No-Posting Probation

Android has AVRCP functionality in 2.1 so any headset with pause, play or whatever should work out of the box.

Sorry for the misinformation, Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP)
    is only for BT profiles.
    ‎
  13. Rigmaster

People still seem to be having trouble with wired headsets. I think AVRCP is for bluetooth devices.
  14. Roman G.

Roman G. No-Posting Probation

Yes I was just coming back to retract that.
    Thanks
  15. Rigmaster

Seriously, the first credible maker with Android-specific wired headsets of good quality and high-value is going to make a killing. If I ran one of the OEMs that's not selling enough iPhone product, I'd have a whole line up and running by now.

Funny, this is where I would have expected Sony or some other company who can't really generate huge iPhone set sales to have already made the switch. Right now the only option I could find was the MH700 but they don't list it as being Android-specific.
  16. mx7

mx7 Well-Known Member

Hope the Klipsch S4i work with EVO
  17. Bek

Bek Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I wound up settling for a Bluetooth solution instead:

Sennheiser MM-200

They've been treating me real well the past few weeks with my Palm Pre. All I did was order a set of Custom Foam eartips, for additional comfort & noise isolation.
  18. Rigmaster

Thanks. Those are on my "Maybe" list, but I've just never been able to find a pair of BT sets that have the same sound as wired sets. I've had Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5vis, and I just want something with as much bottom and top end. I've already heard from a friend with an Android phone that they aren't 100% compatible so it's mostly just play, pause, and skip that work. He has issues once a call comes in and he just wants to go back to music controls.
  19. Outrigger

Outrigger Well-Known Member

it doesn't. they stated on their website that controls only work with later models of the iphone/ipod touch.
  20. Bek

Bek Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

The way I see it, you're making a trade-off. Do you want remote control capabilities? If so, you're pretty much stuck going with a bluetooth solution, while sacrificing some audio quality.

That being said, comparing my Sennheiser MM-200s vs plugging in my Etymotic ER6i's, the difference in audio quality is quite small. If you have a super keen ear, you may notice it. I generally find myself in noisier environments, so it's far harder for me to fully hear the smaller differences that get lost with environmental background noise. And that's why the MM-200's are just fine for me.
  21. Nem_Zero

Nem_Zero Well-Known Member

Since this has been brought up, and EVO doesn't come with earphones. Is there any HTC earphones w/ mic that anyone would recommend? This is my personal favorite set up with phones. I can't get with bluetooth for whatever reason and i don't want to hold a phone to my head all day turn my brains to mush.
  22. Karsten

Karsten Active Member

23. NeoteriX

NeoteriX Well-Known Member

If we're talking about regular TRRS 3.5mm jacks, there's no such thing as a manufacturer specific headphone from a hardware standpoint. It's a software dependant solution. The mic/center button grounds a signal momentarily and it's dependent on the iPhone, Palm, or Android device to pick that up and interpret the signal correspondingly -- to pause music, pick up a phone call, etc.

I'd be interested in knowing if Android devices do this. I do know that my Palm Pre can pick up/hang up phone calls, play/pause music on single taps, and advance songs with a double tap. Notably, the triple tap to reverse tracks as found on the iPhone is not built into WebOS.
  24. Levi

Levi Member

I have seen a lot of suggestions for bluetooth headsets . . . will the FM radio tuner still work with a bluetooth headset? It is my understanding the wired headset is required for it to use as an antenna?
  25. Outrigger

Outrigger Well-Known Member

I don't believe it will as the wired headset acts as the FM antenna. I just bought a pair of Eytomic HF2 which are highly praised. I don't like to use bluetooth for listening to music and much prefer high end cans. They retail for $179 but you can find them cheaper elsewhere. They also have the controls for pausing, FF and RW, but I don't think it'll work with Android. But what I was looking for was great headphone with mic, the multimedia button is gravy if works.