Headset volume so loud blew out two earbudsSupport

1. camphill

camphill Well-Known Member

Anyone have an issue with the headset volume being so loud it blows out the earbuds functionality?

I don't normally use earbuds except for phone calls. I rarely use my phone to listen to music. In the past week I've blown out two sets of earbuds when the volume is full volume, when I'm driving. The sound crackles like crazy for 10 seconds then the earbuds die. If I keep the volume less than full there's no crackling and everything works fine. Granted I have only used $20 buds as I'm only using it for phone communications. I do have a pair of $90 buds for music but I'm afraid to test them as I do not want to lose them as well.

Have used and destroyed:
    Phillips SHS8105A
    Don't remember the other model

Advertisement
  2. PowrDroid

PowrDroid Well-Known Member

That's a new one! Wow.

I think your headphones are too sensitive and can't handle the power output of your phone. Here are the relevant specs for your Phillips SHS8105A:
    Maximum power input: 30 mW
    Sensitivity: 107 dB

Philips - Earhook Headset SHS8105A/28 - Phone headsets - Headphones - Accessories

Here are the specs for a set of Sony earbuds my son got for Christmas:
    Sensitivity (db) : 100 dB/mW
    Power Handling Capacity : 100 mW

Earbud Headphones | EX Earbuds with Volume Control | MDR-EX58V | Sony USA

The Sony's can handle more than 3X the power output as the Phillips. And I can testify that they haven't blown up at full volume.

I would Google the specs on your $90 pair and compare the sensitivity and max power input. If the specs are more robust than the 8105A's you are probably going to be OK using them.
  3. IHateMyTreo

IHateMyTreo Well-Known Member

Did you get a pop-up "Acoustic Warning" when you first plugged in your headset? If you choose to ignore it, the volume exceeds the recommended specs. Not sure how to restore. I wonder if you can disable Play Music, re-enable and reset the audio volume to default?
    jroc likes this.
  4. camphill

camphill Well-Known Member

Thanks PowrDroid. My new JVC HA-EBR80's are rated at 200mW input. I'll have to keep these numbers in mind.

IHateMyTreo, I did not get any popups.

Wonder what the phones audio output power is?
  5. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Love the loud volume. I do get the pop up warning from time to time. Its loud enough where I have a volume widget and I dont set it to loud unless its night time. I use my phone as an alarm clock. And I dont turn my volume all the way up when I got earphones on.

After using a G Nex...and maybe the Rezound....be glad its loud. And just be careful from now on. I would say this is the loudest phone I have had since my Droid 1 and that huge speaker. And I thought my RAZR was loud...this has it beat.