Heeelp...Support

Last Updated:

1. C3PO_1

C3PO_1 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Last night I discovered that the 2.2 update was available OTA for my O2 HTC Desire. I downloaded it but after a couple of issues -- including lack of memory warnings [later fixed by removing some apps] -- it eventually started to run and update took place.

On reboot thought the screen froze on the blue O2 splash screen and wouldn't budge. I did some forum reading and checked the manual and decided to wipe the data from the handset using the hold volume button down + press power button technique. This still did not fix the problem

I then grabbed the RUU O2 exe RUU_Bravo_Froyo_O2_UK_2.14.207.1_Radio_32.44.00.32U_5.09.05.30_2_release_144166_signed and decided to update it manually myself.

At this stage I could not connect the phone properly to HTC Sync because without a properly installed ROM it would not recognise it. I continued with the RUU exe anyway.

The RUU did its stuff and after a couple of reboots of both machine and phone the update started taking. Unfortunately, it got stuck at 81% and then went back to 77% and quit, citing:

ERROR [110]@ FILE OPEN ERROR

The Rom Update Utility cannot open the requested files or the files are damaged. The RUU cannot continue the update.

Please get a complete RUU package and try again.

This file is 179.628.843 bytes in size, according to the info on the exe.

Now I get either a white screen (as below) where neither of the buttons seem to work...

[​IMG]

...or a black screen with HTC logo in the middle with exclamation marks in the four corners of the screen.

So my questions are:

1. How on earth do I solve this situation?
    2. Is there another "complete RUU package" that I should be using, and if so where can it be found?
    3. Is there any way to downgrade back to 2.1 on this O2 phone?

Any help / advice gratefully received. O2 are only saying they'll give me a refurbished phone as a replacement, which is not what I want. Thank you, and hello by the way!

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

RUU's can sometimes corrupt in the download. Try downloading the same one again. Get to the fastboot screen and run it.

The way to downgrade is the same, run a 2.1 ruu.

3. C3PO_1

Many thanks Dan ... where would I find the O2 2.1 ruu? No idea what to look for and that as a search item in Google doesn't throw up much.

4. C3PO_1

Could this be a problem:

[​IMG]

5. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Not sure if you need a goldcard to do this... But here is the ruu for 2.1

Shipped ROMs

6. C3PO_1

Many thanks once again.

7. C3PO_1

Nope, this hasn't worked either (trying to downgrade to 2.1).

Somehow I need to purge the phone of this corrupted 2.2 ruu, and start all over. Do I need a new bootloader, if so where do I get it?

8. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

if the bootloader was corrupted it wouldnt boot at all

boot to the correct booload screen which is (back + power)
    clear your browser cache on your machine and redownload the file
    try flashing it again.

if it fails try using a different computer to makesure its not something strange with your machine.

if that doesnt work you might want to see if you can downgrade but usually it requires a goldcard
    its not common for RUU's to cause a brick, with it being able to power on there maybe a chance you can recover it

9. C3PO_1

Hi -- answers within:

If anyone can help me solve this by 2200 tomorrow night I'll make a

10. Rastaman-FB

what happens if you try and get to recovery?
    volume down power - go to recovery click and hold volume up and power?

11. Rastaman-FB

btw youve not done anything wrong, if you dont want a referb then send it to HTC as its within warranty due to the software being official o2

12. C3PO_1

I could get to recovery after trying to install the original O2 OTA update. At that point, I cleared the system, or whatever it is called in the options.

But after downloading and trying to install 2.2 using the exe option, I can get to a white screen with this writing above (as shown in the screenshot), with RUU in orange, but none of the buttons on the phone will work or activate anything on the white screen, before going to the black screen and HTC in the middle.

13. C3PO_1

A little update (!) ... received my replacement phone from O2 today. Looks absolutely fine and have just successfully installed 2.2 and it is working fine (so far). Thanks for all the help and suggestions for the old unit.

14. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

well done :0) , dont break this one...lol

15. Rastaman-FB

sorry we couldnt fix it.
    plus side to it is that because it was broken by official updates you will always be covered by warranty

16. C3PO_1

I spoke too soon -- this phone is now going into reboot mode all the time and it is DRIVING ME NUTS. What is wrong with this phone / update???

17. C3PO_1

I think the constant rebooting might be heat related. I have put it on my cold desktop and all is fine now.

18. C3PO_1

Ok, with this new replacement, reboot issues are definitely temperature related and therefore related to CPU load. I did two tests tonight at home. Temperature was ~ 19C inside the house. I recorded first video at 800 x 600 resolution and stopped at 4 mins 30 because I got bored. Tried the same at 720p and the phone rebooted at 2 min 15 seconds. This prompts the question, has 2.2 somehow overclocked the CPU beyond its normal operating range?