• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hell did freeze over?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering if VM USA is starting to feel T-Mobile, Boost and Cricket moving in on their prepaid territory.

I remember when I first got my Optimus V everyone said there was no way VM would get a higher end device and then the Triumph was released (yes it was a huge steaming pile of turd) and now we have the Evo (and 4g) and the One V.

I'm hoping this is a sign of things to come and we will see more positive changes.

Upvote 0
This is only for the Evo. They still won't allow tethering on any of their 3g phones.

the door is cracked open now, its just a matter of the proper pressure to open it the rest of the way.

it was double dead bolted and locked before with no chance, but its more then a good chance now to force the rest.

Upvote 0
just notice on the VM page an odd tid bit.

"Mobile Hotspot Enabled

Share your connection with up to five other people or devices."

Virgin Mobile | HTC EVO V 4G No Contract Android-Powered Phone

Incorrect assumption. The phone itself does act as a wifi hotspot (which is exactly what is being stated in the advertisement for the phone), and you do not need to purchase a hotspot device, but you do have to pay $15.00 a month extra on top of your monthly plan fee in order to get the extra service.

I just called, three times just to make sure the CSR was giving me the correct information. I spoke to three different CSRs. 1-888-322-1122

Upvote 0
of course they will sell you tethering still but the features of that phone, says it included, no extra charge.

if there was, there would be a * near that feature item with a note on the bottom of the page that says, with additional cost.

The feature is built in to the phone. The monthly service to use the feature... you have to pay for it.

Upvote 0
of course they will sell you tethering still but the features of that phone, says it included, no extra charge.

if there was, there would be a * near that feature item with a note on the bottom of the page that says, with additional cost.

How about you go click apps then the WiFi hotspot and report back what happens.don't worry I know you don't have a evo or you would of never started this thread

Upvote 0
Its my data, how I chose to use it, is my own choice.

just like rooting and modding, an high cort owuld hold up that data is data, how you use said data makes no difference on their end.

its mine, Ill use it how I see fit.

Strongly disagree. Rooting and modding is a terms of service/end user license agreement issue. None of which is the topic here.

If you take something without paying for it and knowingly take it by means of an exploit, it's called stealing.

Can you get the paid service for free without using an exploit? No.

Reactions: raynoldsk
Upvote 0
I use no exploite, I simple turn it on.

everoyne knows the OV's were sold by VM with tethering intact, was a feature. not till after or let say towards the end of the V did they decide to try and mod newer phones so it won't work.

like the Elite that will brick when its turned on.

would be like them saying I gotta pay to take a picture, my phone shipped with said feature, I own it, I can turn it on if I chose.

Upvote 0

everoyne knows the OV's were sold by VM with tethering intact, was a feature. not till after or let say towards the end of the V did they decide to try and mod newer phones so it won't work.

would be like them saying I gotta pay to take a picture, my phone shipped with said feature, I own it, I can turn it on if I chose.

My TV was sold with a cable connection, but that doesn't entitle me to run a cable line to it and expect to get free service just because my TV shipped with that feature. I don't think that argument would hold water with the cable company...I'm with Petrah on this discussion.

Upvote 0
just because the phone has that capability, it doesn't mean it would be included as part of any plan you take out.

evo_vm_plan_hotspot.JPG

Specifically the bottom.

evo_vm_plan_hotspot2.JPG

Upvote 0
My TV was sold with a cable connection, but that doesn't entitle me to run a cable line to it and expect to get free service just because my TV shipped with that feature. I don't think that argument would hold water with the cable company...I'm with Petrah on this discussion.

that don't equate right

it would be up to the cable company, if they left a live line hook up in your house, you can hook it to your TV all you want, its up to them to have the connections at the pole right.

had a friend in an apartment go through that, wasn't his fault the cable company used only 1 single line into the building and then connected it to 10 apartments. [if one person paid for HBO, they all got it, but not all got a bill]

Upvote 0

If I remember right, to use wifi tether on the V requires you to make a shortcut to a hidden menu. If they wanted you to use the function, I doubt they would have hidden it. Just sayin'...;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones