2. DarkNeo

DarkNeo Well-Known Member

Wow. One point down... [​IMG]

3. gear.h34d.2012

gear.h34d.2012 Well-Known Member

Progress is progress, fool. :cool:

4. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love VIP Member

It's not about how much Apple/Blackberry lost, but instead how much Android has gained.:)

5. Joppie

Joppie Well-Known Member

I love the ad right in the middle of the article. :D

[​IMG]

Kelita and gear.h34d.2012 like this.
  6. bossxii

bossxii Well-Known Member

First off... It is encouraging to see Android gain double digit market share and see the handsets are selling. However this only one piece of the puzzle, as the total market share of smart phones is increasing very fast, companies like Apple and Blackberry may slip 1% and still outsell Android based devices by millions.

Point being anyone can skew a set of numbers to look in their favor. Just a guess, but I put money on the fact the Evo after 30 days hasn't come close to selling 1 million units while the iPhone blew thru nearly 2 million units in 3 days. android is still the new kid on the block, every time a new brand phone is released it should gain respectable amounts of market share.

Still even the HTC Evo on it's own will never come close to selling the kind of units the iPhone does. It takes 50 or more variations of Android phones combined to chip away at Apples marketshare. Love em or hate, Apple is still the dominant player in mobile devices worldwide. I guess everyone loves to see the king of the hill fall, but so far no single company or phone has touched the iPhones success.

7. expletiveinserted

expletiveinserted Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I can't disagree with any of those points, boss. Apple has marketed their products quite well over the past decade or so. It's also remarkable how easily people are swayed/influenced/hypnotized by it =)

8. Leodoc

Leodoc Well-Known Member

spring is before Evo too =]

9. expletiveinserted

expletiveinserted Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Correct Leo. It stated that Evo was not included in the statistics =)

P.S. I thought Evo had its fair share of problems with battery life, screen separation, etc.

iPhone4's supposedly are catching on fire and still having antenna issues!

10. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

I agree. Any Android device on it's own will not outsell the iPhone. For one thing, for apple fans, has only one choice. But with Android, there's a spectrum of flavors to choose from. So even when a single Android device can never outsell the iPhone. I can still see Android as a whole will be outselling the Apple OS with in several years. And with Android, there should be a phone for anyone wanting an Android device, not only freedom with the OS, but also freedom to choose which hardware and carrier that is right for them.

zeux6 likes this.
  11. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

I really hope Android OS 3 brings some big big big time UI enhancements, otherwise, the ground gained by Android, will be decimated by Apple once they hit Verizon.

12. cabbie

cabbie Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Android is at around 13% market share. Lets keep things in perspective.

13. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love VIP Member

When I first read this I was thinking that you meant that in spite of antenna issues the iphone was catching on fire, as in selling like hotcakes, and then I realized that they are really catching on fire. :eek:
    Past my bedtime.

14. hawkijustin

hawkijustin Well-Known Member

Wont hit verizon untill 2012. Look how far android has come in a little over a year. What will it be in 2 years?

15. dr g

dr g Well-Known Member

1. Most iPhone4 purchases were upgrades. I.e. net zero gain of market share.
    2. Most Android purchases are new Android users.
    3. It is pretty obvious that no single Android handset can possibly sell as many units as iPhones, simply because there are so few flavors of iPhone hardware.
    4. It does not take "50 or more variations of Android phones combined to chip away at Apples marketshare", the fact that there are many variations of Android phone in no way reflects negatively on the OS's success. In fact the available variation could be considered a benefit of the OS.

And absolutely skyrocketing. Make no mistake, android is coming of age and seizing the market by the horns. By the end of this year I bet it will be a foregone conclusion that Android will surpass iPhone's installed base, unless Apple diversifies carriers sooner.

Android has matched or surpassed the iPhone in practically every way. Once the popular game developers port their games over, iPhone's era of dominance is over.

RoboMonkey and GaryColeman like this.
  16. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Well-Known Member

All I gotta say is

ponaple.jpg

ballpoint likes this.
  17. jpasint

jpasint Member

Blasphemy!!!

Joe

18. ramiss

ramiss Well-Known Member

It might have helped if HTC had made a million Evos! :rolleyes:

19. zeux6

zeux6 Well-Known Member

Very well said and very accurate. I agree with you 100%.

20. WSFrazier

WSFrazier Active Member

Slow progress, yay.

21. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Indeed. :D

One problem is that the term market share can mean more than one thing - is that referring to total over time - or units sold.

Another problem can be the source of info itself. From the OP's link:

Note in the original article that "comScore" was a redirected link - it redirected thru MacNN.com - you know - the iPhone/iPod news aggregator.

But - I can't slag them too badly - top of MacNN.com right this second as I look is an ad for the EVO! :D

In any case - market share - by long-term penetration? By units sold? Within a specific market?

The market share argument has been heating up for a few months - led by this article - very in-depth, ok?

Reality Check: NPD’s Android vs. iPhone sales headlines — RoughlyDrafted Magazine

The fact that article author also wrote, Snow Leopard Server (Developer Reference) probably has no bearing on the case whatsoever. (Some of you may know Snow Leopard by its other name - Mac OS X 10.6.) Note the uncanny agreement in analysis with this NEW study compared to that one by Roughly Drafted. (Don't mind me, I'm certain that's a coincidence.)

So - where was I?

Right here:

[​IMG]

U.S. Android Sales Beat iPhone in Q1 - Study

Like Sun Tze always said: Never play the game if you can play the player.

Anyway - I think he said that.

Besides, always quote a Chinese philosopher when declaring victory - it dilutes reality and causes immense web search problems for what Chinese philosophers have actually said. In fact, Lao Tze's entire written works on record are less than 1/2 of what the web said he said.

Lao Tze agreed with Sun Tze and was also reported to have said: If I were alive today, I'd be using a using an Android to keep up with my peeps.

;)

PS - Looks a little different than 13% and a 1 point gain, doesn't it?

22. drksilenc

drksilenc Well-Known Member

not entirely true there are 2 phones that could compete the initial moto droid and the galaxy s. in south korea alone it did 200k

23. J03

J03 Well-Known Member

So between Feb and May iOS lost 1 point of market share... how about those June/July statistics? 2 million iphone 4's and counting...

24. TF1984

TF1984 Well-Known Member

I just can't believe Winmo is still at 13.2%. That's more then Android, regardless that's a joke. Who wants a winmo phone? Not I.