Hello. A story and a question.Support

Last Updated:

1. xmastree

xmastree Well-Known Member

Recently I got myself an HTC Magic.

My curent mobile plan is with Talk Mobile, so I went to their site to see how to configure the WAP settings. Selected the make and model, and I expected to be able to click the button and have a configuration message sent to the phone. That's how I set up my original phone. Only this time there's no button.

So the next day I called their customer support, and the guy said he would send the message.

One message arrived, saying that a config message will be along shortly and I'll need the PIN code 1234 to set it up.
    No config message arrived so I called after about one hour to be told pretty much the same but this time he'd call back to check.
    Again, no second message and no phone call either.
    So, after another hour I called again but stopped the guy when he said he'd send it again, as this obviously wouldn't work. Instead, as I had since figured out where the settings are in the phone, I asked if they could just give me the relevant data and I'd enter it manually.

He asked what the phone was.

HTC Magic I said.
    ATC Logic?
    No, HTC MAGIC.
    "Is that one of those new fancy ones? I don't know much about phones." :eek:

At this point I asked to speak to a supervisor who told me that my phone isn't supported by their network and basically refused to help further.

So I was on my own. I decided I'd check the settings on my old phone when I got home, write them down and enter into the new one. Before doing that I googled a little, learned that people had set up iPhones (another non-supported unit) to work fine so I figured there must be a way. Eventually I ended up back at their site and discovered what I should have seen the first time, a button labelled Input settings yourself. Clicking this gave me most of what I needed, but there were two fields missing, MCC and MNC. The phone wouldn't accept the settings without these, so after more googling I found myself on wikipedia.
    There doesn't seem to be a MNC for Talk Mobile, but they use Vodafone's network. The phone was originally on Vodafone and the settings were 234/15. The wiki page confirmed that those numbers are Vodafone so I put them in.

And it worked. W00T! :D

So Yah Boo Sucks to Talk Mobile's 'support' people.

And now for the question.

I'm trying to d/l some apps from the market, but nothing's downloading. The internet connection seems to be fine, gmail works, facebook, browsing etc. it's just the apps aren't downloading.

When I first got the phone, I connected it to my Wifi at home and it was fine. I installed a couple of things but since I loaded the WAP/MMS stuff I can't install anything.

Any ideas?

2. xmastree

Another problem, Contacts.

I've imported the contacts from my old phone (Samsung PC studio > .vcf files > google contacts) and those are fine, but if I try to enter a new one in the phone, it evapourates moments later. So if I'm out and about, someone gives me their number, I enter it (either directly or by saving the missed call), and it's gone.
    It seems I must use google contacts, which isn't always practical.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

And those apps still aren't downloading. :(

1.) Model Number HTC Magic
    2.) Firmware Version 1.6
    3.) Baseband Version 62.505.20.17U_2.22.19.261
    4.) Kernel Version 2.6.29-00479-g3c7df37
    5.) Build Number DRC92
  3. mjschmidt

mjschmidt Well-Known Member

Try going into Settings > Applications > Manage Applications.

Scroll down to Download Manager. Clear the "data" and the "cache".

Go back to Manage Applications

Scroll down to Market. Clear the cache.

Exit back to home screen. Go back in to the Market and see if your downloads restart. You might need to reboot the phone.

Can't guarantee it will work in your specific case, but it has worked for me on my Magic when it happens from time to time (I found these instructions somewhere else on these forums).
  4. xmastree

Nope, that didn't work. I couldn't find 'cache' under Download Manager either, only Data.
  5. xmastree

Just a thought, do I need to register somewhere to use the market? If not, how do I pay for non-free apps?
  6. mjschmidt

xmastree: all you need to use the marketplace is a Gmail/Google account. To get Paid apps you need a google "shopping cart" (I kow I'm calling that the wrong thing, I don't have one) or I think you can also use PayPal? Not sure. I have only DLed free apps so far.
  7. xmastree

Well I have a gmail account, and use it on the phone.

Hmm, I can feel a factory reset coming on soon...
  8. xmastree

Well, I did a reset and input everything again. This time it worked and I was able to download apps again.

But today it stopped again. Tried to install something and it just gets to 'Starting Download' then stays like that forever.

Is this a problem with my phone or is the market really this intermittent?
  9. mjschmidt

Any time I've had that issue (the Market hanging) I go through the steps I outlined above to fix the issue, so I'm not sure if you are experiencing it differently from the way I have. :-(
  10. xmastree

Thanks, but that didn't help. It's still refusing to download anything.
  11. xmastree

I've had an idea about this.

I've reset the phone once again, reloaded all my apps again (appbrain helps here) and all's well.

Now, my mobile plan has a filter to stop me from going to dodgy websites (a sort of parental control.) It's enabled by default and I haven't got round to removing it. Maybe that's the issue. At home I use the Wifi connection which doesn't need to go through the mobile operator's filter. Last time it locked up I was outside trying to download an app using the 3g connection. I wonder if the app market is blocked and that causes it to freeze in a way that I can't even use the Wifi afterwards.

Sound feasible?
  12. mjschmidt

I suppose it depends on how the filter works. If it is only meant to filter web sites, then it won't matter, because the market place is an app, not a web site.
  13. xmastree

14. wellbug

wellbug New Member

not be supported for CMWAP
  15. RockyAndroid

RockyAndroid Member

check your APN settings. Delte APN and create a new one. Search this site for correct APN settings. Good luck.