Hello All Question for noobieGeneral

Last Updated:

1. petch

petch Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hello I just got my Eris and I have a question.
    My Eris has 1.5 and I know an update is available to go to 2.1 but after lurking and reading the problems people are having I am wondering if I should just stay with it?
    I should probably also say this is my first smartphone and I know nothing about anything.. Just been lurking until now!

Advertisement
  2. AdrianC14

AdrianC14 Well-Known Member

If you decide to upgrade to 2.1, immediately do a Factory Data Reset after it has installed. This can be found in Settings > Privacy > Factory data reset.
    Remember to back up your phone!

petch likes this.
  3. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

2.1 is superior to 1.5 on most devices.

I say "most devices" because it has become apparent by posted reports over time in these forums that the Eris manufacturers and assemblers seem to have turned out devices with a range of quality; some excellent, some buggy with the finger of blame being pointed at the hardware in many instances.

If I were a new Eris user at this point in time I would not hesitate to install the 2.1 update.

petch likes this.
  4. cableguynoe

cableguynoe Well-Known Member

I used to hear more complaints about 1.5 before 2.1 was officially released.

Yes, some have reported problems, but overall I say 2.1 is much better.
    I would do it...

And if it interests you, this might be a good time to check out the All things Root thread...

But root or no root.... 2.1 for sure

5. petch

thank you all. Ok updating as we speak I will do a factory reset once done. One strange thing happened to me while messing around. I had added my wife and boss in the favorites screen then they were gone. Is there a way to download back up assistant to the phone so that I can get them back (they were not the only ones missing from my contacts)?

6. Calkacky

Calkacky Well-Known Member

Fetch-

I don't think you will regret it. I'm a first time smart phone ower too. I've had mine a few months but had no intention of upgrading to 2.1 due to the things I've read here. HOWEVER, I had an issue with my phone today and that was one of the steps to fix it so basically I had no choice. Wow! I wish I would have done it sooner. I've done the factory reset too and all is well. There is some maintenence to do afterward, but it is well worth it. I'm wondering now why I didn't do it sooner. I guess better late than never, huh?

Oh, your contacts should already be backed up in Google from being on your phone unless you changed them to be backed up elsewhere, the phone puts Google as the default back up. Once you are done, they should be back.

Keep coming here. These are by far the best Eris forums and all the people here are wonderful and very quick to help you out.

petch likes this.
  7. petch

Calkacky,
    Thank you. I did update things to goggle but still doesn't have my contacts from before? Is possible to download the backup assistant from verizon on this phone?

8. cableguynoe

cableguynoe Well-Known Member

No, backup assistant is not available on smartphones

petch likes this.
  9. Cajun83

Cajun83 Well-Known Member

Go check your google account and make sure they are in your contacts on GMAIL... then if they are, it is just a matter of sync'ing the phone with google contacts to get your numbers and such back.

petch likes this.
  10. petch

Thank you checked they are not there. I am sure I did something to erase them.. It's no biggie I will just run to verizon and have them pulled off of my old phone.

Something I noticed that I hated was it pulled all of the data from people on Facebook is there a way I can stop that?

11. nomarsgirl

nomarsgirl Well-Known Member

You must have had them saved as phone contacts instead of google. It's kind of a pain, but it is worth entering them manually in gmail and letting them sync. Then they will always be backed up in the cloud.

12. Cajun83

Cajun83 Well-Known Member

If you sync facebook then no... but you can hide them from showing up.

Open App Drawer>People>Menu>View> deselect show auto gmail contacs and facebook. Only have Google checked and the only contacts that will show are the ones that you put into the phone or onto your gmail contacts list. You can also select "only contacts with phone number" and it won't show those who you don't call.

petch likes this.
  13. petch

Thank you but where the heck is the app drawer?

14. Frisco

That is the little arrow-like icon to the left of "phone" on the bottom of the screen, Petch.

Press that and you can scroll (up and down only) through all of the apps (not widgets) installed.

petch likes this.
  15. petch

I have to say it is rare to have such a helpful people on the internet. I would have expected a much different response.

Thank you for all the help. I did not receive a owners manual so I am really going at this blind and from this forum.
    I did find the manual but it is 200+ pages and that appears to be a work printing :)

16. Frisco

There is a user guide for your Eris available at this link, Petch:

HTC Mobile Phone Support - DROID ERIS by HTC (Verizon) - Downloads

dransfo likes this.