Hello everryone I need help setting my new Hero phone

Last Updated:

1. toe4672

toe4672 New Member This Topic's Starter

Aug 1, 2010
    I am lost and dont know where to begin. I am trying to set my phone to play music as my ringtone when I recieve a text message??? It is only allowing me to set the standered ringtones that come with the phone, this is killing me because i can't hear the sounds when I recieve a message cause they are so short. Please help me out step by step thanks.

2. ashykat

ashykat Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2009

Next, there are a couple of different options for what you want to accomplish. My favorite way (because it's the neatest) is to plug your phone into the computer, mount it as USB Mass Storage, and create a folder called "media". Inside of the media folder, create a folder called "audio". Inside of audio, create three folders, one named "notifications", one named "ringtones", and one named "alarms". These folders are just as they appear, for ringtones, notifications (which included text messages), and alarms. Place the tone you want to use in the respective folder, eject/unmount from your computer, and when you go to choose your notification tone your sounds will be there.

The other option is to use an app like Rings Extended which will allow you to grab any music/sound on your sdcard to use as a notification/ringtone/alarm. The reason I don't like this option is because if you store music on your phone like I do, all of your songs show up. For some people this isn't a big deal, but to each his own. :) If you decide on this option, just download Rings Extended from the market and when you go to select a new tone a popup will come up asking if you want to use Rings Extended or Android System. Choose Rings Extended.

Hope this helps you out. If so, please hit the Thanks button.
  3. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

Jan 11, 2010