Hello I just got the Droid Inc and I'm overwhelmed! Plz HelpSupport

Last Updated:

1. TommyMac

TommyMac Active Member This Topic's Starter

I'm coming from a Regular phone so this is like wow.

I know a little about this stuff, I know I don't want to Rom the phone, or mess with the inside.

Can one of you experts please give me some direction on the MUSTS when you get the phone, what I should and shouldn't do ?

And maybe some direction on what Apps I need to make the phone run best.

Also the battery, I've heard it's sketchy, should I buy an extended life if so what kind?

Thank you so very much.

Advertisement
  2. wcx86

wcx86 Well-Known Member

First thing you should do is check out the tips and tricks section and read over the battery thread.

Welcome and enjoy your Inc!

3. dawnierae

dawnierae Well-Known Member

If it came with a Task Killer installed...uninstall it. I get much better battery life since I uninstalled.

4. bugeyeblue

bugeyeblue Well-Known Member

Well as far as apps go, whatever you need for your personal use is best. I would recommend using the phone just as it comes to get started. Just browse through the market and see what looks interesting. Just tap the install button and try it out. People on this forum are very helpful, so just ask if you have a specific question and we will try our best to help. The search function is awesome too, so see if any questions you might have are already answered before asking.

And welcome. Have fun with your new toy!

And I wouldnt worry about the battery. I've owned almost every Verizon smartphone, and the incredible is the same as anything else. If you use it a lot, carry an extra charger or battery.

5. cortecds

cortecds Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Extended life battery isn't much better.
    At least the two I tried weren't.
    They gave me just a few more hours.
    And you would need a new back on the phone that makes the phone almost twice as thick.

Here are the must have apps that I recommend:
    1. Advanced Task Killer FREE - set it to kill apps every 1/2 hour
    2. timeriffic - it can be set to make your phone go to vibrate or mute at certain set times. I love it.
    3. Shush - I also use this for those time when I go to movies etc. and I wwant my phone muted for a few hours. All you have to do is mute the phone and it will pop-up and ask you for how long. Then it returns to the previous setting.
    4. Install the HTC Power Widget, should already be on the phone. With it you can easily turn off GPS and WIFI when you don't need it.
    5. AudioManager from android. This allows you to see, at a glance what the audio levels are set at.
    6. Battery Left - This is a nice app that will tell you how many hours are left on your battery.

I also like:
    Google sky
    Grocery IQ (especially if your spouse has a droid too)
    Link push
    TuneWiki (for music)
    PhoneMyPC - Allows you to see your PC screen and interact with it
    Barcode Scanner
    Goggles
    New facebook app - For some reason the one already installed may not be the new version
    PDAnet (not free) but you can tether your laptop or PC to your phone and use your 3 G
    Photoshop Express (from adobe) edit photos on your phone
    HP Iprint Photo - If you have a WIFI HP printer print right to it.
    Songbird remote - Install the free songbird program on your computer and control it from any where in your WIFI with your phone

On my PC I use Cucusoft to convert movies to watch on my phone. It's not free, but it works great.

That should get you started.

WELCOME TO THE ANDROID WORLD!!

6. njperry

njperry Well-Known Member

A few (just a few) critical apps:

Astro - free file browser (like windows explorer on your pc)
    Note Everything - if you like to keep memos or notes about stuff, like Wife's Gift Ideas, Tech Specs for My Electronics, Music to Buy, Movies to Rent, you get the idea.
    Secrets - I think it's the best free password keeper.
    aCar - free app to track your vehicle maintenance and gas mileage
    ShopSavvy - great barcode scanner to compare prices when shopping. Also can use ScanLife.
    Google Sky - amazing to view the stars
    Shazam & Soundhound - both allow you to hold it up when a song is playing and tell you what the song is, etc.
    TV Listings or USA TV Droid - see what's on TV. I have not yet decided which I like best.
    Movies - look up movie times, buy tickets, watch trailers, etc.
    Tower Raiders - Warning! very addictive tower defense game!
    C:geo - if you like geocaching.
    Others: IMDB, Kindle, Pandora, Where's My Droid, wifi analyzer, Zedge ...

Enjoy the new toy - I mean tool!

7. TommyMac

Awesome guys! thank you!

Just a few questions:

Is the Droid getting Froyo?

Is there an XM Radio APP (Can't find)

How can I connect the phone to my Mac and dload my pics and music?

Thanx again!

8. mauiblue

mauiblue Well-Known Member

I'm a newbie with this Incredible and have been at it for a month now. I've been running it basically stock until I caught wind of Beautiful widgets. I like also running Advanced Task Manager (blue icon version), Battery Indicator Pro, FoxyRing, Lookout mobile security, and Where's My Droid. For task managers, either you love it or don't like it, it's a matter of preference and which one you pick off the market.

Have fun discovering all the features on your new smartphone. All the best, ALOHA!

9. fearofth3dark

fearofth3dark Well-Known Member

It's getting froyo..... eventually.

10. cortecds

cortecds Well-Known Member

Just plug it into your mac and then on your phone it should pop-up and ask if you want to mount the disk drive.
    Allow it to mount.
    There are two drives that should appear on your Mac.
    1) is the phones internal memory
    2) is your sd card.
    If you save photos that you take to your sd card then they will be there.
    Either way they will be saved in the DCIM/100MEDIA (scratching my head why it is named that, why couldn't they have named it photos?)
    Music can be placed in any folder you want and the phone should find it.

Oh, I also like the app: SAYMYNAME it says the persons name who is calling you or texting you, if they are in your contact list.

11. PearlRose

PearlRose Well-Known Member

Yes there is. It is not in the Android marketplace. A lot of good apps are not in the marketplace. You will need to go into settings > apps > and check to allow unknown sources.

This link only works if using the browser on your phone. Otherwise it will recognize that you are on a PC and tell you that the 2.2 version is coming soon.

SIRIUS|XM on Android > Click download app

IM clients such as Trillian IM for Android are also not in the Marketplace.

DROIDdidME likes this.
  12. DROIDdidME

DROIDdidME Well-Known Member

Just downloaded the Sirius app and am trying it out! I love it so far I think after the 7 day trial is up I'll be subscribing!

13. TommyMac

Can I sync ICAL?