Hello, I'm a former iPhone user

Last Updated:

1. Campah

Campah Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So today I gave up my iPhone for the Motorola Droid. To give you some background, I'm an iPhone developer, and every computer I've owned since 2004 has been a Mac. I sunk quite a bit of money into the iPhone app store, but there were two factors that contributed to my switch:

1. AT&T sucks in Bangor - My iPhone would jump from 1 bar of useless service to 5 bars in my apartment. Turns out this was because the tower near my house was a Unicel tower, and once the iPhone saw the far away AT&T tower, it wanted to jump on it, no matter how poor the signal was.

2. Background apps - I did jailbreak my iPhone, and was able to run background apps, but none of the apps were built to handle that, so everything just sucked down battery. Man, I can't tell you how much it annoyed me to have to quit Pandora just to send a text message. Words cannot express how much this limitation annoyed me, especially since the hardware could handle it.

So far, happy with my choice. I realized what was holding me to the iPhone was the apps. I wasn't big into games, but I had a handful of apps I really liked:

Tweetie - by far the best Twitter app. I haven't yet found an awesome Android twitter app.

Runkeeper - Been using this less since the winter season, but I really liked how I could map out my runs and check them online. I've found CardioTrain, which looks like it will fill that need.

LogMeIn - If you're not familiar with it, it lets you remote control your computer, without the hassle of blowing holes in your router's firewall. Haven't found an equivalent yet, and hoping they make an Android app. Otherwise, I guess I'll just install one of the VNC apps I found and make a firewall exception.

AppleTV Remote app - I've got an Apple TV, this app made it really convenient, especially when keyboard input was needed. Haven't found an equivalent, but I'm looking to get rid of the AppleTV anyway for a custom built Hulu box.

Sirius XM - I'm a Sirius subscriber, and I would listen to Sirius at the gym. It would kind of work on EDGE, but not great. I know I can use Pandora, but would really love it if there was a Sirius app, mostly so I could listen to the Jason Ellis show while working out.

Despite this, I'm VERY happy with my choice of Droid, and I'd really be interested in hearing from other former iPhone users, and what apps they're using now.

Advertisement
  2. icstars989

icstars989 Well-Known Member

Good to have you aboard. Unfortunately I havent had much time to play with any apps yet, but I did get sportstap and shopsavvy. Still looking for the perfect IM client, and how I miss Beejive. Stay strong my man! We'll get through this switch together :)

3. Campah

Campah Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Oh man, how I miss Beejive. Hopefully they'll see the light.

4. icstars989

icstars989 Well-Known Member

I couldnt agree more, although I did have an issue with beejive NEVER signing me out, after repeated emails to the devs I just gave up. Even still, it has been hands down the best chatter I've used on a cell, minus that little hiccup of course ;)

5. shotinthenads

shotinthenads Well-Known Member

Hi Campah! I gave up my 3Gs and jumped ship when I heard about the Droid. I live in the same state you do and the reception is horrid with AT&T. AT&T was more interested in suing Verizon and paying 100k to 1million in bonuses instead of upgrading their network. To me this is a new beginning, much like the 1st iphone. If you remember the first iphone could not do much of anyhting right. It took time. I feel the same about the Droid. I see this as a big step for Motorola, Google and Verizon. I just hope that they don't blow it. The Droid is in need of a patch or two and the next iteration of the Droid should have a pretty significant wow factor (not that the current one does not). All in all I had about $300 in apps on my iPhone, but gladly gave it all up (now most are on my iPod). The future looks bright post iPhone!

Since you are a developer-start developing :)

6. themaker

themaker Member

I wanted an iphone from day one, but having family in Canada and seeing that the AT&T plans weren't even close to reasonable for their Canada roaming and per minute to Canada I waited. And waited. And waited for Apple to sever it's exclusivity contract with AT&T. Well, the Droid came along and I no longer pine for the iphone!

I feel like this does everything that I need in a very slick manner, just like the iphone so I got the best service provider AND a cool phone.

Nice to see that iphone users are having a mostly smooth transition!

7. esiegel

esiegel Member

I have been using the iphone for 18 months, and just got my droid today. so far so good. some counterintuitive stuff, and I haven't really started to use the physical keyboard. Somehow the home screens don't "POP" the way iphone do, I guess its the size and graphics of the icons. Also the slate gray wallpaper.

I don't really like paying for visual voicemail...is there a way around that?

E

8. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

If you have Google Voice, you can use it to handle voicemail for your Verizon number as well. Then you will have free visual voicemail, as well as the message transcribed to text (as best as a computer can do anyways).

9. droidism

droidism Well-Known Member