Hello New Here

Last Updated:

1. GixxerJoe

GixxerJoe Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and thought I would say hi. I am here because I want to learn about the Android OS and its capability's. I have been a die hard BlackBerry fan for years and have refused to own anything else but a BlackBerry. But with a wave of new Android devices surfacing and more so going to VZW I am being tempted to switch.... So I hope I can maybe find a few Android experts out there that will help shed some light of the Android Platform to me.

A little about me

Like I said above I am a die hard BlackBerry fan. I also am a sport bike enthusiast as well. I have been around the BlackBerry community for a while and am a Mod at crackberryaddicted.com. I also develop themes for BlackBerrys when I can find the time. Other than that I am a family guy and just a boring tech geek.

Some things I would like to know about Android....

Email is a big thing to me, hence one of the things I love about my BB. It just does it well. Will Android do push email? Or will I get my email in near real time? What type of apps are out for android? How is the Browser? Bottom line... How will or Does Android stack up to a BlackBerry in terms of getting things done? Look forward to seeing some responses.

Thanks

Gixx

Advertisement
  2. shivers316

shivers316 Godmember VIP Member

Welcome to the forums! :)

3. Jacqueline

Jacqueline Well-Known Member

Hi, Gixx. Welcome to the forums!

I'm still waiting for my Android phone, but I wanted to help address some of your concerns.

Push email depends on both the server and client. Android supports IMAP Idle, so if your mail server supports that, then yes push mail works. The mail app for gmail supports push. For Exchange push support - I believe 2.0 Android supports it natively. For earlier versions, HTC added Exchange push support to their phones, and for the phones that do not support it natively, there are apps that do such as Touchdown. I believe there are other choices. That's one of the nice things about an open platform, support can be added by multiple 3rd parties for phone functions, giving you a choice of implementations.

You may want to browse around the market and see what is available. Android Market

4. DjDroid

DjDroid Member

Hey man!! Welcome to AF! I too am new... and also a vzw subscriber so that new droid is very exciting for me. I have had my NE2 since June, but no phones are appealing to me, until now that is. I cant wait!!:)

5. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

Welcome to the AF forums and enjoy your visits !! :cool:

6. noonehereyet

noonehereyet No One... VIP Member

Welcome!

7. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

Welcome to AF forums! :D

8. GixxerJoe

GixxerJoe Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hey thank you everyone for the warm welcome!! Much appreciated :D

Jacqueline, and thank you for clearing up my email concern. Most everything I do is with GMail or google in some form or fashion. So I am sure this phone is going to be just what I am looking for, or at least all the information I have read thus far points to that.

9. Jacqueline

Jacqueline Well-Known Member

Glad to help! Email is a big concern for me too.

10. tallelf78

tallelf78 Well-Known Member

One word of warning...My email is still delayed by 5-7 minutes. This may be due to the way I set up the email but right now I am stuck.

It is a gmail address so I figured everything would play nice together...

I have my phone tied into my home security system and I need near immediate updates if someone tries to break in. An email 5 minutes later doesn't work for me. Anyone have any ideas? I know its possible since my BB 8830 worked just fine (15-20 sec delay)