Hello, soon to be Android user

Last Updated:

1. ahpitre

ahpitre Member This Topic's Starter

I currently have a Blackberry Curve 8900. Thinking of getting an Android based phone. I have some questions :

1) Does Android allow to do a remote wipe of a phone? Via e-mail, SMS, both?
    2) Are there apps. for backing up the device (Contacts, Calendar, e-mail, OS, apps.)?
    3) Can I do 2 way sync of my Google and Hotmail accounts (Email Calendar, Contacts)?
    4) Can I encrypt my phone's data (stored in phone's memory)? What about SD Card, can it be encrypted?
    5) Are contacts stored in SIM, phone memory, SD Card, or any combination of the 3? Is it easy to copy/move them between the 3?
    6) Which version of Android, and in which phone model, does Flash 10.1 run?
    7) Any news on when Firefox will be available for Android?

Thanks for the attention and support.

Advertisement
  2. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

1. Yes, but not natively. You'll need a 3rd party app for this.
    2. Depends. If you've got GMail or ActiveSync then your contacts, calendar and email are backed up immediately to the cloud. For everything else, you'll need a 3rd party app.
    3. With GMail yes. With Hotmail, I don't know.
    4. You can password prodtec your phone and your SD card. I don't know about encryption. You may need a 3rd party app for this.
    5. Yes.
    6. I believe Froyo, but not sure.
    7. There's a pre-alpha version available now I think. I've never used it.

3. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

1- There are several security apps out there for the phone. I know that many will do tracking and locating, but I am not sure about remote wipe.

2 - There are backup apps, but for contacts, calendar and email they aren't really necissary. The phone will sync these with google automatically. As for apps, they are tied to your gmail account as well and can be redownloaded.

3 - You can sync with your hotmail as well as your google accounts, but I don't believe the email will be in the same folder.

4 - No idea, never tried.

5 - Your contacts are stored in the phone memory and in your gmail account.

6 - Flash 10.1 is only available in Android 2.2 right now.

7 - Still waiting