Hello

Last Updated:

1. estefana

estefana Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey peeps! I'm estefana... I like cupcakes, gadgets and open source! Thought I'd join this forum so I could learn stuff about Android from people who use it regularly.

Advertisement
  2. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

Welcome to Android Forums!

Everyday?...yeah, most of us on here can't stop messing with our Android devices ;)

What device do you have?

You'll find lots of information in your phone specific section. Hopefully, you'll find this to be a great place for everything Android!

Again, welcome! Glad to have you here! :D

estefana likes this.
  3. estefana

I actually don't have an android phone...yet. I live in Canada so I have very limited choices. I've sold my soul to Rogers so I kinda have to stick to there lineup. Basically it comes down to an Iphone 4 (jailbroken asap) or Sony Xperia which is running Android 1.6 (not so fun) with no update until the fall to 2.1, and I'm not sure if I like the Sony Skin... I guess I could always root the phone though =) Which forum should I go to to discuss this?

4. UBRocked

Hold on a second...I'm doing some quick research for you...I think you have more Android phone choices than that ;)

BRB

5. UBRocked

Well, I see why you have narrowed your choices they way you have. Seems like the X10 is your best option right now. They have the Acer Liquid (but I'd be real iffy on that one). They also have some older Android phones...but I wouldn't recommend that given the lineup of older phones :(

Seems as though an upgrade to the OS for the Sony is not set in stone and if you don't like the skin...that would be an issue cause it is not rooted as of yet (or it doesn't appear to be based on the info I have seen).

You could ask for opinions here:
    Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 - Android Forums

Sorry you have limited choices...I take for granted that in the US...it is an Android buffet of all kinds of devices.

If I had your choices...I don't know what I would do, but if there is a trial period you could get the X10 and see if it would work for you. Despite the iPhone hatred you might run into here...it could be a viable option given your choices. :(

Edit - 4.0 inch screen...8 Megapixel camera, 1GHz Snapdragon processor...those are some decent specs :) Android 1.6 is really holding it back from being a "flagship" device IMO.

estefana likes this.
  6. UBRocked

Just found this...it appears that Sony Ericsson did confirm it will get an upgraded OS later this year. That would alleviate that concern.

It looks like it will not support multi-touch though :confused: I don't know if that is important to you though...just putting it out there.

7. estefana

Thanks that was really helpful. Yeah I just get my drool on when I see gorgeous devices like the HTC Evo and Droid X (which won't be coming to Canada). But life's unfair, and I might just have to settle for an iphone...

8. UBRocked

You're welcome...I just wish I could give you a better solution. I hope that more devices come your way soon. I have the Droid and while it is not the newest thing out...I absolutely LOVE my phone! I just wish that everyone could experience the level of happiness that I have. Having said that, I hope you at least check out the X10. Android has soooo much to offer that Apple does not (or at least not as well).

Good luck to you and hopefully you will find the solution that is right for you! Having a phone you hate is kind of like having a car you hate...hard to write the check every month! I pay through the nose for phone and data plans for 2 droids (my wife has one too) but we love our phones so the $150+ per month seems to be worth it.