Hello!

Last Updated:

1. imekon

imekon New Member This Topic's Starter

I'm another iPhone owner contemplating switching to Android. At the moment, I have about a year to go on my O2 contract here in the UK, so any Android phone I buy will be the full unlocked price, if I buy now.

My reason for switching is the disatisfaction with the iPhone. I bought a 3GS model a year ago and was disappointed to find:

• no multitasking - only Apple apps could run in the background
    • weak camera (3Mpixel) - no flash
    • safari with no flash
    • as I bought more apps, no real way to organise them
    I wanted something that was a PDA and a phone; the iPhone is not a PDA.

After upgrade the software to iOS4, what do I find:

• apps are appearing that support multitasking - so now a music app can run in the background
    • folders appear that allow me to group up to nine apps together (why only nine?)
    • the battery runs flat overnight on occaison - never did that before
    • mail gets confused and leaves strange headerless messages you can't access or delete
    I'm a software developer. Yes, I have a MacBook but trying to use Xcode on its small screen is like trying to program through a keyhole. I have written apps for the Mac, however, I used wxWidgets to let me code on Windows and port across to the Mac.

So all these restrictions on developing for the iPhone that recently appeared have put me off writing for the iPhone. So, I'm looking at Android, I'm used to Java. Eclipse is not too hard to get used to, and I can run it on Windows.

Objective C has some nice features however the language looks like a bolt on layer on top of C, so it feels clumsy. I'd rather use Java or better still C#.

At the moment, my Android device is an emulator, however that will change eventually. :D

Advertisement
  2. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Welcome to Android forums! You fit right into the techie crowd! :)

3. Hardcore

Hardcore Well-Known Member

Welcome!

The Android "World" its fantastic!!!

4. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

Welcome!

If you can't convince them, confuse them.