Hello!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by punky, Apr 5, 2010.

1. punky

punky Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2010
    IT Manager
    London, UK
    Had a gentle nudge to introduce myself so am obliging ;)

Basically I need a new phone (partly because my iPhone is broken and partly because i'm sick of being Steve Jobs' bitch) so looking at Android (HTC Desire) and doing a bit of due dilligence before I leap into a 24 month contract.

I like what I have seen so far despite early reservations (i.e. Market is a fair bit smaller than App Store) so i'll probably make the jump. Just looking for the best contract.

I'm also a software engineer (been a while since i've done Java though) so am looking forward to developing apps and not going through Apple's ridiculous SDK program.

So hopefully I should be spending a bit of time here.

Advertisement
  2. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Operations Manager
    Rochester, NY
    once you start developing...that smaller app store shouldn't be a problem anymore :)

Good to have you here!

punky likes this.
  3. lekky

lekky Lover
    VIP Member

Welcome, the desire is a great phone, and there are 30,000+ apps in the market growing at something stupid like 200 apps a day, so don't worry about that.

punky likes this.
  4. punky

punky Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2010
    IT Manager
    London, UK
    Thanks guys.

I was hoping Market is like App Store but without the fart apps. I'm not too worried because i've read that generally speaking you'll find at least one app to do what you need. The one thing I do need is a missed call reminder (why do no phones have this anymore?) and there seems to be a couple with mixed reviews. Anything else is a bonus.

Trying to find videos of the phone in action (making calls, seding/recieving SMS, etc) but doesn't seem many about (most are about widgets and such).

5. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member
    VIP Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Washington DC, USA
    Welcome to the AF forums and enjoy your visits !! :cool:

punky likes this.
  6. bigdroid

bigdroid Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Campus Safety Officer
    Earlville, NY