HelloGeneral

Last Updated:

1. abruns

abruns Member This Topic's Starter

Long time lurker here. I'm anticipating I will have some questions once I get the new update for my droid eris. Lots of great info here, great work all!:)

Just saw there is a introduction area, my bad.

Edit: found intro area.

Advertisement
  2. surgeon0214

surgeon0214 Well-Known Member

Welcome! not to be rude but this was kind of unnecessary..

3. abruns

abruns Member This Topic's Starter

:eek: Yeah, I see that now. Question number one: When I get the new 2.1 OS will my swype function without reinstatement? Will it function at all? This would be a show stopper for me as I can't live without swype. OTA said folks have been using it with the XDA versions, did they have to reinstall? Thanks

4. surgeon0214

surgeon0214 Well-Known Member

I'm not really sure, people are saying the apps are fine when you update so I would expect swype to act the same way. And as for the leakers I think they did have to reinstall because it wiped all apps when you installed a leak version. But apparently the 2.1 OTA will not delete your apps. If for some reason it does happen you can always reinstall it from the market for free.

5. K0CAW

K0CAW Well-Known Member

Swype won't be available in the Market, because the company is marketing their product to phone manufacturers instead of the general public. You can still find links to download the program around these forums, over at XDA, and the rest of the Internet.

I have been using Swype on a rooted 2.1 Eris for months without any problem.

6. xx_bishop_xx

xx_bishop_xx Well-Known Member

I have been using Swype on all three of the leaked versions. I needed to install each time because the process of updating/flashing/hard resetting the phone meant I lost everything. Here is the link to the .APK file if you need. Welcome aboard. From what I read, the Official OTA may not require a hard reset, so perhaps you will not need this.

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/40128-swype-avail-eris.html

7. bjf88

bjf88 Well-Known Member

My thought is that if you still have the file on your SD card, it will still be there once you update. If anything, you'll just have to re-install from that file.