• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help a newb - video stuttering - stock rom restore

ghxost

Feb 23, 2011
Ok, computer geek here, new to phones, but not to modding other things.

I have the Evo. I rooted it the other day (unrevoked 3), it was a new phone at the time. I ran a backup through recovery. I coppied my entire SD to my computer.

I then did a full wipe, and flashed to warm2.2 rls 5. I'm on the stock kernal.
I have not uninstalled, frozen, or killed any apps once I flashed this rom.

Everything appeared to be fine. However, if I try to stream any video from any site, its choppy video and audio, very choppy. THe seconds click by normally so I dont think its a buffering issue. Sometimes video will play ok for 2-5 seconds.

First, does anyone have any suggestions on what to do about the video issue?

Second. If I can't fix it, I'd like to revert to the stock rom (still rooted) and see if the problem still exists. I never tried streaming before flashing...
What do I need to do to restore? Obviously I put the backup back on the phone, goto recovery, and restore, but do I need to clear anything or do anything first like I did before flashing to warm2.2 (wiping data etc)? I only saw info on flashing custom roms and unrooting, sorry if its posted somewhere.

I do try to read first, but would appriciate some guidence!

Thanks in advance!

This is most likely a problem that adfree is causing, it is known to cause slow data speeds. You can also try to wipe cache and dalvik but I don't think that they would cause this problem. You can also try a ROM that doesn't have adfree built in. Also to answer your question to about the backup you should just be able go to backup and restore section in your recovery and click on restore backup, you don't need to wipe anything although it never hurts to wipe.

Upvote 0
Ok, maybe I'll try another rom first...
Does a full wipe format the SD card? I thought I saw that scroll on the screen last time I did the full wipe. If so it would wipe my backup (which is on my PC for safe keeping) but if so, is there a better way to do this all without wiping the card to keep the backup on the phone card?

Upvote 0
Because Myn has included an ad blocker similar to that used by adfree (changing hosts), I would recommend downloading adfree from the market, downloading and installing hosts, and then selecting "revert" after that. The middle step of downloading and installing new hosts may not be necessary, but it only takes a second anyway. Then test out the video stream and see if it has improved.

Upvote 0
have you made adjustments to the http settings in the ##3283# menu? see my signature for the thread on how to

lol Mr. Ed, you crack me up...its ##3282# thats only the 15th time this has been listed wrong, thats where the confusion comes from. Just say dial ##DATA# it'll clear up confusion

Changing the proxy to zero may help him with streaming right? without doing the profile restore and declining the prl update..?

Upvote 0
I chose Myn's warm because it was the one rom that I was told had practically everything working. I'm going through roms now again to find another one hopefully without adfree in case I can't get this working. Can anyone suggest a good rom/kernal solution?
Things I use:
4G, camera, camcorder, web for news and streaming videos (flash), facebook to post camera pics, pandora, tethering, wifi.
Haven't relaly done much else on it yet, but its only a week old and i'm learning.
I'd like a good interface, and would love to see increased battery life (looking into underclocking soon, although when screen is off battery life is fine...)

I'll try those http settings as well before reverting/switching.
Thanks for the tips!

Upvote 0
I chose Myn's warm because it was the one rom that I was told had practically everything working. I'm going through roms now again to find another one hopefully without adfree in case I can't get this working. Can anyone suggest a good rom/kernal solution?
Things I use:
4G, camera, camcorder, web for news and streaming videos (flash), facebook to post camera pics, pandora, tethering, wifi.
Haven't relaly done much else on it yet, but its only a week old and i'm learning.
I'd like a good interface, and would love to see increased battery life (looking into underclocking soon, although when screen is off battery life is fine...)

I'll try those http settings as well before reverting/switching.
Thanks for the tips!
I believe that everything should work on a rom, and work well, I have been using Calkulins EViO2 v1.8. It doesn't get much publicity here, but it also includes a battery saving script, and I have had fantastic battery life without using a custom kernel. It has a few mods (colored notification icons, and launcher dock). Worth checking out. :) Keep in mind that the wallpaper shown in his screen shot can be easily changed.

Upvote 0
Ok, didn't have time to do the http settings yet, but with wireless enabled the streaming works fine, so I'm guessing that when wireless is on and working that the web goes over it instead of the 3g.

If so, i'll try the http tweaks for 3g to see if it helps when not in a wifi area.

Thanks guys and gals!

Upvote 0
Ok, proxy HTTP settings fixed my streaming issue, however, my upload speeds on 3g range from 0.03Mb to 0.13Mb at best (megabits). This seems very slow to me, and it takes minutes to send one picture via txt on 3g.

4g and wireless both have great up speeds...

I tried doing the prl recovery, and canceling the update. I tried doing a prl update once the former made no difference. Upload speeds just suck.

Could it be my radio, or something else...?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones