• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help a Senior Citizen Understand

kenkay

Lurker
Sep 24, 2010
My Google Voice Dialing app was only working about 10 per cent of the time until I read a thread in this forum (I can't seem to find it now) that said that the Voice Dialer App (the one brought up by long press of the search button) would only work on contacts in your People app that were also in your Google Contacts "My Contacts" list.

I have confirmed this by placing Un-Voice-Dialable contacts that were in my People, but not in Google Contacts list..., syncing, and voila, they voice dial perfectly. In other words, when I make a contact in People a Google Contact, they voicedial perfectly. I have experimented and confirmed this with several contacts, taking them on and off the Google Contact with my desktop online with the Google Contacts manager.

It seems that the dialer only works when the contact is made into a Google Contact. When the store synced my phone up with my gmail account and ported over the contacts from my dumb cell phone, some of the contacts in People were "Phone Contacts, some were "Google Contacts", and I had some duplicates of both.

What is going on here? I thought the Voice Dialer was a totally independent on-board application.

Can someone verify that what I have discovered is correct, and if so, why hasn't the connection between the voice dialing and Google Contacts been discussed?

How can I make a contact in the People app a Google Contact from the handset?

Help appreciated. KK

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones