Help - an idiots guide to a complete backup

Last Updated:

1. _MarkC

_MarkC Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi - I've just been reading http://androidforums.com/htc-hero/39029-complete-backup.html regarding backup tools.

What I am looking for is a way to backup my phone in an idiot proof fashion, so that I can get it back to the factory and OS settings it originally comes with.

When I say backup, I'm not too concerned about SMS, email etc - but more of a one-touch way of resetting the phone to factory status in case I bugger things up when rooting (I can guarantee I'll attempt that one day).

Do I need Sprite for that, or will the phone come with some sort of 'recovery disk'?

Regardless of that, should I get Sprite in any case for day to day backup? The site looks very impressive.

Many thanks, Mark

Advertisement
  2. antipesto93

antipesto93 Well-Known Member

the way i understand it is that you need to make a nandroid backup, but not too sure how to do this - im new to all this:)

also if something goes wrong you can just hard reset it....somehow...

3. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Nandroid backups are the easiest way; they make a complete copy of the phone's memory (but not the SD card), which restores everything including apps and so on. But you can't do these unless you've rooted your phone.

If you didn't have a nandroid backup, you can just flash the official ROM again. There might also be a factory reset option somewhere, I'm not sure.

4. monkegeo

monkegeo Active Member

By the way, a Nandroid backup is part of the standard custom ROM process listed in the Guide to Installing MoDaCo ROM as a sticky at the top of the forum.