• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Help] Android Via USB Car Radio

Ironcross

Oct 16, 2012
I bought a Dual XHD7714. I love the radio. I have recently bought a Android and would like to know if there is a secret to get it work. I am some what new with Androids. I've gotten my iPod Touch to work, haven't tried a USB Flash Drive yet. Every time I connect the Android via USB [Phone is set to auto USB MASS] the radio just sits there "Reading" with the USB icon blinking.

Does music need to be in a certain folder? Not in a folder? If you guys could share some insight on how to get music playing via USB via Android on a Dual XHD7714 that would be appreciated.

The phone connects via Bluetooth no problem, and charges.

Thanks.

ADD: I looked at the SD Card's properties and it says it's a FAT. Not a FAT32. Could this be a problem? The phone is a LG Marquee (Boost Mobile) Model: LG-LG855, Running Android 2.3.4.

It should work, try turning on USB Debugging, it's under Developer options in Settings. Both FAT or FAT32 formats should work OK.

Your Dual ICE system will definitely work with a USB thumb drive and USB hard drive.

Shouldn't matter what folder the music is in, the player will search the USB device looking for MP3s to play. However if your songs are in the AAC format, .M4A files, the Dual might not be able to play them. Looking at the specs, it's MP3 and WMA only.

Reactions: Ironcross
Upvote 0
It should work, try turning on USB Debugging, it's under Developer options in Settings. Both FAT or FAT32 formats should work OK.

Your Dual ICE system will definitely work with a USB thumb drive and USB hard drive.

Shouldn't matter what folder the music is in, the player will search the USB device looking for MP3s to play. However if your songs are in the AAC format, .M4A files, the Dual might not be able to play them. Looking at the specs, it's MP3 and WMA only.

Thanks for the reply. True it 'should' work. But it seems it doesn't want to read or will take a ridiculously long time. I've tried debug mode. I will try it again and let it sit for a little longer on my lunch break.

I will also make sure it works via flash drive.

All of my music is MP3 @ 320k. 95% of my media encoded via Windows Media Player.

I know it works flawlessly with a iPod. But I'm not using apple anymore.:smokingsomb:

I have set the phone to "Always USB MASS"

I downloaded this app: USB Host Controller In the app settings it has a setting for mount points. I added my music folder at the top of the list. Lets see if that helps.

Again, I appreciate all the help I can get. As I don't want to get a 32GB card for the phone and it not work.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Update;

Tried a USB flash drive and it instantly read n' played the music.

Yet the deck will not read the phone. I let it sit there for 10+ minuets. The app didn't do jack all.

The phones says "Debug mode - Press to turn off debug mode"

Is there any app out there that will help and are there any will mess with this?

Also does the phone need to be rooted?? I don't think it does but there are no stupid questions in my book.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Lame... While at work. I will see if my coworkers have an Android to bring out to my truck and test it.

What is the best way to backup the SD Card? Just copy and paste? I'm thinking on reformatting it to FAT32. As that format is what the flash drive I have worked. If I can find my other card I could just mess around with that...

Again thank you.

Upvote 0
Update III;

So I found my other Micro SD Card 1GB formatted it to FAT32 and popped it in the phone. Didn't format with phone. Went down to my truck to test. Nada...

Tried another Android. Didn't work. So I'm guessing it's just not meant to be.:(

I'm just going to buy a large USB Flash Drive.

Unless anyone else has anything to share?

Upvote 0
I bought a Dual XHD7714. I love the radio. I have recently bought a Android and would like to know if there is a secret to get it work. I am some what new with Androids. I've gotten my iPod Touch to work, haven't tried a USB Flash Drive yet. Every time I connect the Android via USB [Phone is set to auto USB MASS] the radio just sits there "Reading" with the USB icon blinking.

Does music need to be in a certain folder? Not in a folder? If you guys could share some insight on how to get music playing via USB via Android on a Dual XHD7714 that would be appreciated.

The phone connects via Bluetooth no problem, and charges.

Thanks.

ADD: I looked at the SD Card's properties and it says it's a FAT. Not a FAT32. Could this be a problem? The phone is a LG Marquee (Boost Mobile) Model: LG-LG855, Running Android 2.3.4.

You can try connecting an Android phone to the USB port on a stereo until you are blue in the face and all the phone will do is trickle charge. There are no drivers in the stereo for an Android phone to be recognized. Your only option is the 3.5mm jack connection via aux or connect via Bluetooth.
I can tell you that new cars like my Chevy Volt are fully integrated and compatible with both iOS and Android now. I can control Pandora and Stitcher from my steering wheel controls, but all connections are via Bluetooth.
For some reason I have a feeling Apple have some sort of patent on USB connections to a media device?

Upvote 0
Update III;

So I found my other Micro SD Card 1GB formatted it to FAT32 and popped it in the phone. Didn't format with phone. Went down to my truck to test. Nada...

Tried another Android. Didn't work. So I'm guessing it's just not meant to be.:(

I'm just going to buy a large USB Flash Drive.

Unless anyone else has anything to share?

I was going to say to buy a 16gb mini USB thumb drive. They are about half an inch long and barely stick out of the stereo when you plug it inti the USB port. Must be in fat32 format. I do this in my older car and works perfectly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones