HELP!! - Any way to recover pictures after a factory reset?

Last Updated: 2013-10-25 23:36:50
  1. lusafdie

lusafdie Member

HELP! I'm so upset right now. A few of my apps weren't working (ten seconds after I would click to open them they would show me the loading page and then go back to the home screen, some right after I downloaded them, and some after some uses). After reading a million threads here and trying everything, I decided a factory reset was the way to go. I backed up my information and did a factory reset, but when I restored it I realised my pictures hadn't been backed up.

I am incredibly upset about this, and would love to know if there is a way of recovering those photos (I read that maybe accessing the internal memory of the phone? Idk, I'm desperate).

Thank you in advanced! :(:(:(

(I know what I did was quite stupid. I'm already super upset about it)

Advertisement
  2. LilBit

LilBit Well-Known Member Contributor

I dont think so, unless they were stored on the sd-card, and it seems as if they were not.
    If they were on the phone's internal memory then their probably gone.:(
    lusafdie, ocnbrze and argedion like this.
  3. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

what phone do you have? most phones save pictures to the sd card and factory resets should not wiped the card. the pics are usually stored in the DCIM folder on the card.
    lusafdie, LilBit and argedion like this.
  4. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog VIP Member

not much you can do about them if they were in phone memory. An external sdcard would have been the way to go if able. Don't beat yourself up though you did do a backup just didn't check it to make sure it had all your stuff. We have all done something we regretted pretty soon after. So no worries ehh.

Ok now to avoid future issues of this you need to get in the habit of making and checking backups before doing anything to the device. A lesson I'm sure you have learned now. If we can offer any help just let us know. cheers
    lusafdie and ocnbrze like this.
  5. Davdi

Davdi Well-Known Member Contributor

If you sigh in to Google on the phone following the reset AFAIK the apps should re-download automatically. If not, sign in to Google on a PC, go to the play store and the apps will be under the 'My Android Apps tab'. You can re-install them from there (to any/all Android devices you own).
    lusafdie likes this.
  6. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

The Google app/data backup is only there if you turn the option on. I don't think it will help with the pictures anyway :(

I don't know how storage is organised on the RAZR I (which I think is what you have), so it might be worth asking here: Motorola RAZR i - Android Forums.

But as a general rule stuff on the external sd card should not be affected by a factory reset, and also you can use normal data recovery software to retrieve it if it is accidentally deleted. Stuff in the internal storage is generally unrecoverable. If you can mount the internal storage as usb mass storage (not mtp) on a PC you would be able to run data recovery software, but that's usually not the case.
    lusafdie, ocnbrze and LilBit like this.
  7. lusafdie

lusafdie Member

Thank you all so much!! I pretty much lost hope with the photos :/ from now on I'm syncing them automatically to Google+ and will be backing them up every once in a while on an SD card.

Thanks again,
    ocnbrze likes this.
  8. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog VIP Member

ocnbrze likes this.
  9. jetwanyo

jetwanyo Member

That's why I am always very careful when it comes to factory reset. Because often data could be forgotten.

The good news is that it is possible to retrieve back pictures after android phone factory reset, take a look at this guide: android phone data recovery after factory reset

hope this helps.
    Davdi likes this.
  10. Ronald Methew

Ronald Methew New Member

When I was in this type of problem, this video really helped me. You can have a look on it: youtu.be/vqm1ZShNJnE