1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

General help ASAP- buying rooted used GS2 today

1. Kristara

Kristara Member

Hey, I'm new on here so all apologies for repeats or any other mistakes...
    I'm probably buying a used (7mo) AT&T GS2 today that is rooted and unlocked, it's $185, I know absolutely nothing about rooted phones, i emphasize nothing lol, is there anything i need to look for specifically, what questions should I ask the seller? I'm buying it to put on straight talks service and will test it with an already active ST sim card to make sure it works before handing over the cash but are there any big "no-no's" or problems that can rise from purchasing an already rooted phone or something that could be wrong that the un-technological person like me may not realize until its too late?
    Please any help asap would be awesome again i know nothing about rooted phones

Advertisement
  2. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

Tell him to show you its' unlocked first off...this will require him to boot into recovery mode...

Otherwise you might want to see if he put a custom ROM on it..

Lastly, there really could be nothing wrong with the device if it is rooted/unlocked...I would just check the SIM before you leave and maybe check the Wifi :)

Hope this helps!
  3. Kristara

Kristara Member

what do you mean show me it's unlocked?
    (sorry i truly know nothing about this type of stuff beyond unlocked means i can use on multiple providers and rooted means im the admin on the phone, I use my current android stock and am pretty nervous about jumping head first into the tech side of phones lol)
  4. Kristara

Kristara Member

and how do i see if he put a custom rom on it and if so is that good or bad?