help ? back up before software updateSupport

Last Updated:

1. emily01

emily01 Member This Topic's Starter

hey guys ... another Q ! :eek:
    im about to do my first update and i really dont have a clue what im doing !! i downloaded the free MY back up yesterday .. saved apps and data to the sd card and started the download through the phone in the software update section in 'about phone' ...neway i ran out of time before i went to work and cancelled the update as it was taking AGES !!!

so i today , i go to resume the update , but check first that all my data is still in my back up ... and surprise surprise my 30 day free trial has ran out after less than 24 hrs ! :mad: ... thank god i checked !

anyway ... what i really want to know is ... A) is it worth the updates .. any real benefit ? (bearing in mind im not very technically minded , clearly ! lol )

B) if it is .. then what is the best, trusty free file manager ... that will store my apps , contacts , settings etc ... basically everything !

C) should i do it through the website , via my laptop and usb rather than through the phone ?

heres my stats ...not that i have a clue what they mean .. but you guys seem to lol ....baseband 1.0.14, kernel 2.6.29-rel, build number R1FA014
    i gather that these updates alter the build number ???

thanks in advance .. em (oh btw ... a link to step by step instructions would b fab ;) lol

Advertisement
  2. rosered

rosered VIP Member VIP Member

I would do it via the pc and usb - you can try either the PC companion or Sony Ericsson Update Service. I have used the SEUS for the last two updates (from R1..016 to R2..023 then to R2..026) and if you use option 1 it doesn't affect your data at all. Option 2 does a factory resest and update so will wipe your phone, but unless you are having problems I would just go with the first one.

To be fair my contacts are synced and my apps apart from 1 are all freebies so could just reinstall if something had happened to them.

Also people have been saying that the update they get via the PC is bigger than the over the air one on the phone, so must include more of something but being a complete techie (not) thats as far as my knowledge goes.

Edit SEUS link

http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/support/softwaredownloads/detailed/updateservice/xperiax10?cc=gb&lc=en

3. TheManWithAPlan

TheManWithAPlan Well-Known Member

1) well there's lots of benefits really but in short.. its faster & battery lasts longer.. I don't think anyone would disagree.. you should know straightaway considering your only on 014 firmware!

2) I normally recommend mybackup lol, but you can always do the following
    .. use astro file manager to backup apps
    .. use sms backup & restore for sms
    .. use the inbuilt phone feature to backup contacts by opening the phonebook app, hitting the left button with the 4 squares, then 'more' and then 'back up contacts' and then finally choose your desired method of backup!
    4 settings im not too sure..
    on the bright side, if you update, the new firmware has a backup & restore app which saves like contacts, sms, settings n more!!

3) apparently people that updated via seus with the big update file have noticed a better performance than the ota update!

Hope it helps!!