[Help] Battery life, apps, and beeping?Support

Last Updated:

1. matrices

matrices New Member

Hi all,

My wife got this phone yesterday and while I'm a huge computer geek, I'm smartphone illiterate.

One big issue we've noticed is that literally half the battery life drains in the space of a few hours - even when the phone is not being used. At first I thought it was because she had the backlight set to stay on for 10 minutes, but she reduced that to 2 minutes and went to bed. Following morning, half of the battery was gone again. She also had this "live background" going on where the background is moving, but again, it was almost full battery before bed time and then it was half empty in the morning.

Is there any reason this should be happening outside of a defect? Is there a way to check which apps are hogging battery?

On another note, the phone was frequently chirping/beeping and we couldn't figure out why - no new messages or notifications. Only thing I could think of was that we weren't getting reception in the bedroom, but there was nothing in the manual about such a noise. Only turning on silent mode silenced that noise. Any other ideas?

e: Also not sure this matters but we enabled WiFi on it for web use since reception in the apartment is poor. Would this consume battery outside the house to have it on even though it wouldn't be connected to anything? Didn't see an option to turn it off.

Advertisement
  2. smith058

smith058 Well-Known Member

If you have a poor reception, then that's probably your problem. If you have 0 - 2 bars then your phone will constantly be searching for a better signal switching from a few weak towers in your area.
  3. matrices

matrices New Member

Well that sucks - so the battery gets wasted because it's searching for a signal? Is there an airplane mode to make it stop searching for signal? e: Yes there is, great.

This is with Boost Mobile, which my wife had on an older phone, so that didn't get reception in the apartment either, and that didn't drain her battery as far as I know. But that was not a smartphone/Android, more of a basic phone...how ironic.

I'm sure there are plenty of towers - Queens NYC - but it must just be our specific apartment location.
  4. smith058

smith058 Well-Known Member

Yeah it does suck, I live in the Bermuta Triangle. But yes there is Airplane Mode. Settings - Wireless & networks - Airplane mode.
  5. bizfox

bizfox Member

You can also turn off 3G while the phone is in your apartment and keep WiFi on (Settings - Wireless & Networks - Mobile Networks - Uncheck '3G Data'. Using JuiceDefender (free is fine) can help, too.