Help booting into recovery - 4G Evo Rooting refresh unrevoked

Last Updated:

1. amadib

amadib Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,

I am trying to root my EVO and getting stuck at a certain point. I am following the instructions/videos found here:
    [GUIDE] How to root Android 2.2 on the EVO 4G - xda-developers
    I have followed the directions successfully up until I am instructed to me to boot with HBOOT USB and then remove the battery to restart, and run reflash.exe.

I am stuck running unrevoked (reflash); the phone does not display the console but rather boots normally. The first time running reflash seems to be working normally until it reboots and searches for the phone, at which point hangs. Any attempt to restart the process will hang at Pushing Recovery Image. I have waited patiently over 10 minutes for each.

After the phone fully boots it my computer lists in Device Manager now lists my phone under ADB Interface --> My HTC.

I am using windows 7. I have USB debugging I have removed HTC sync (still have HTC drivers installed) and installed the Android Bootloader Drivers. I also am running reflash.exe as Admin.

I have already restored the phone once and tried from the start but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

~mad

Advertisement
  2. yung_wallace

yung_wallace Well-Known Member

try to update the phone with the first PC36IMG.zip file again, same thing happend to me last night, and i have to re update it, re update it with the first PC36IMG that he posted not the second one

amadib likes this.
  3. amadib

Did you have to start from scratch or just went back to running the PC36IMG?

Can you link me to the one you used? I only see one.

4. yung_wallace

5. amadib

That's the file I used - It hangs at "Waiting for reboot...." after it has rebooted (normally)

any ideas?

6. yung_wallace

so which step are you stuck on? i am trying to find out exactly where in the guide you are at

7. amadib

I cannot boot into recovery mode. Between the blue *'s on the guide.

Basically reflash.exe does not work as expected. I have troubleshooted all issues that may arise (HTC sync drivers have been removed, Android Bootloader Drivers are loaded and up-to-date, running reflash.exe as administrator).

It either hangs at "Waiting for reboot" or "Flashing recovery image. Do not touch your phone!". Neither one completes as the phone boots regularly, displaying the Sprint and 4G animations....

Note: Windows 7 does make the sound that it's connecting and disconnecting devices although I'm not touching my phone and I've used 2 different USB wires (one brand new).

8. yung_wallace

i was using XP but same thing i couldnt get into recover either, and you will need to find a way to mount your sd card and put the first PC36 zip in the root of your sd card again and re update it and then let it boot in to the 2.1 OS and check it and make sure it does boot the 2.1 OS and if it did, then you should be on your way, and everything should boot fine, dont forget to mount your sd card again about you have booted the 2.1 OS and delete the old PC36zip from the root of your sd card

9. amadib

I was able to successfully do that (run the PC36IMG and remove it) and set the phone to enable USB debugging when it booted. However when I run the reflash.exe I am not able to continue with the process of rooting it since the flashing does not seem to be successful and the phone boots normally. I do not see a console and I never receive a "Done" message....

Do you know what I mean?

10. yung_wallace

so you are saying after you plug in your phone and run unrevoke 3 it wont boot in to recovery? and just give you a normal boot up? did unrevoke said it was done?

11. amadib

I just used a friends MAC and was able to get it done on the first try....

don't know what the issue was :-/ thanks again for trying to help...on to step 2

12. vtwin-racing

vtwin-racing Well-Known Member

Hrmm i dont have a MAC, and im having same issues with Win 7.
    After unrevoked, it just boots into 2.1 instead of going into recovery.
    Even though it says finished/done.

13. vtwin-racing

vtwin-racing Well-Known Member

I just held the volume down and went into recovery to continue.
    Now im at AMON Ra recovery and its asking for Qualcomm cdma tech MSM driver.. *sigh* Nothing like this comes up in the directions.