Help - Can't connect to my wifi network after Froyo updateSupport

Last Updated:

1. daveww

daveww Member This Topic's Starter

I've just installed 2.2 on my unlocked unbranded desire from CPW on Orange. All seems well except I can't connect to my wireless network any more. I've tried rebooting and tried setting up a new connection. I just keep getting "Obtain IP adress from .........." but it never connects. :confused:

Can anyone help? please...........

Dave

Advertisement
  2. weegie1979

weegie1979 New Member

im having similar problem i downloaded and installed update went through all the usual update motions installed update phone restarted said loading and started going from 1%-100% then said not responding force close or wait so i waited now phone has started back up and cant find my sim card or my sd card so cant get wifi to download it again well stuck phone just keeps restarting

george

3. benchmark

benchmark Well-Known Member

Have you switched on and of again, when off remove the battery and let it for about 30 secs. This solved someone elses camera not working problem.

4. daveww

I'll give it a try. I've put the password back in so many times now I'm going nuts.....

Dave

5. daveww

No still doesn't work :(

Anyone else - Help Please

Dave

6. daveww

aaaaaaaaaaaaargh ! restored factory settings and it still won't work. It scans for the network - finds it but won't connect. It continually say "Obtaining IP address from Belkin_N1_Wireles......." but doesn't find it. What am I doing wrong? or is it a fault/change with the new software?

Dave

7. deek0

deek0 Active Member

Not gonna teach you how to suck eggs. But you tried turning your router on and off.

8. daveww

Thanks - tried that but no joy. I think I must be doing something wrong but can't work out what :confused:

I tried another wireless router and it connected on an open network but I can't seem to connect to my own home router............:mad:

9. daveww

Could it be it will no longer connect by WEP or the settings are different?

10. nafanny29

nafanny29 Member

On some routers (definately orange livebox) you have to access the router and temporarily allow it to connect to new devices before it will allow any new connections to the network. Just another thing to rule out.

11. daveww

Well solved it! :) I'm still not sure if I was doing something wrong but I'd got another router so I set that one up and connected via wpa/wpa2 and it was no problem at all. Bit of a pain having to reconfigure all our hmoe network pcs but it all works now - phew, need some strong drink now to get rid of the head ache! :D

12. indie1982

indie1982 New Member

I don't think it's anything you're doing wrong, my Desire no longer connected to the WiFi network at my parents' house but it did on Eclair.

I just get the "Obtaining IP address" message continually, it works fine with my Apple Airport Extreme, the WiFi access point at my parents' house is a Linksys WRT300N.

Nothing changed on my Desire, it just doesn't work any more, plenty of other people seeing the same kind of thing elsewhere on teh internets from FroYo not just with the Desire!

Had a quick search on Google.

13. dejf

dejf New Member

Yep, same issue. Since I upgraded from 2.1 to 2.2 I am having issue with obtainin IP address. It seems to be problem with some APs, It works fine on Thomson's one. If I set up Static IP I can get through but it is not solution, as I want to use DHCP.

14. indie1982

indie1982 New Member

I've had a look on the Android issues list, searching for "DHCP" people seem to be having problems but I can't see a bug open for exactly the problem we and a lot of others are seeing. I think I might add a new issue, maybe we could compile a list of access points that DHCP worked fine on before 2.2?

Working
    Apple Airport Extreme b/g/n mode - WPA2

Not Working
    Linksys WRT300N - b/g/n/ mode - WPA

15. dejf

dejf New Member

Working
    THOMSON TG585v7 802.11b/g - WPA

Not Working
    Linksys WRT350N

16. jgrove

jgrove New Member

Not working with 2.2 Netgear SRXN3205

17. jgorby

jgorby New Member

Not Working
    Microsoft MN700 Wireless Router (Home)

18. jgorby

jgorby New Member

Not Working
    Microsoft MN700 Wireless Router (Home)

Droid connected via DHCP with no problems before update.

After update, via DHCP I get the "Obtaining IP address" message and finally it says my WIFI Network is "REMEMBERED" and shortly after that it will try and connect again.... "Obtaining IP address".

Have gone through multiple shut downs of both devices, (Droid, Router) and still no good. I can connect with laptop and my daughters IPhone just as always.

I am able to connect the Droid if I assign a static IP address.

19. kebaros

kebaros Member

Working
    Netgear DG834G
    Netgear DGN2000
    Talktalk photoframe router

20. Beaston

Beaston New Member

Hey i'm having the exact same problem, is there a way of fixing this yet without buy a new router?

21. simbravo

simbravo New Member

In my experience, this problem is all to do with the

22. greylin

greylin Member

This didn't work for me today when my HTC Desire suddenly decided it would no longer connect to my home wifi network. Sleep = "never" was already in force.

What did work was changing the channel on my router. It had been using channel 3 but I read elsewhere that the Desire likes channels 11 and 6, so I changed the router to 11, rebooted it, and voila - everything's working again. I hope this might help someone else who has the same problem.

Beats me why it suddenly all stopped working in the first place, though, after months with no problems.

regression likes this.
  23. danzman

danzman New Member

Greylin's suggestion worked for me! Changing the G channel to 11 solved my problem. Thanks, Greylin - you're my hero!!!

p.s. I have a Froyo-upgraded Captivate.
    Access Point Router - Netgear WNDR3300 (DHCP server disabled) - Channel set to 11
    Gateway Router - Netgear FVS318 (set as DHCP server)

24. greylin

greylin Member

Well, it's heroine actually ;) but you're most welcome. Somebody else's suggestion about an Orange phone helped me out in a similar way in the Android forum a couple of days ago and I was immensely grateful to them, so it's nice that what goes around comes around. Glad you got the network working again in the end!

25. Jim255

Jim255 Active Member

Well, I read through this thread, and none of the suggestions worked.
    I then poked about in the router software (Speedtouch) and in Home\Home Network\ Devices\ I discovered the MAC ID of my Desire HD. When I entered the configuration page for it, I was stunned to find the 'Allowed on WLAN' option set to NO! I unchecked the box, and all is now well.
    For the life of me, I don't know how that box got checked, but anyway, WiFi connection is now functioning fine.