HELP! Can't connect to public wifi...General

1. bluejay714

bluejay714 Member

Hi I just bought nexus 7 few days ago, and I have not been able to connect to wifi. I do not have any access to home wifi, but I've been to school and mcdonald's to get wifi access.

However, I cannot use them. It said that it was connected to those wifi, but still cannot use internet. I think it's because both wifi providers (my school and mcdonalds) requires user to Login in order to start using wifi, while not requiring WEP or WPA/WPA2. (such as user agreement page for mcdonalds)

Any thoughts on how I can open those login screens? it seems like chrome on nexus 7 can't do that job.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Daxst3r

Daxst3r Active Member

I have the same issue with public "free" wifi, the browser blocks the redirection to the login page, I couldn't find a way around it, so for now I have to tether to my phone.
  3. bluejay714

bluejay714 Member

How about home wifi? I've seen quite few people having trouble getting wifi at home as well, though I think that problem can be solved by changing some options on the router. I am thinking about getting a wireless router so I can at least have internet access on nexus at home. Although I have to admit, only having internet access at home sort of makes a tablet not so portable..
  4. bluejay714

bluejay714 Member

I feel like if I lived in a very crowded city like new york, I would be able to use it so much better. Living in Tx, where you have to hop from one wifi spot to another wifi spot, it really does limit the usage.
  5. saptech

saptech Well-Known Member

Did you ask any of the wifi places for the login information? The few places around my area that I tried would just give some mumbo jumbo to read and then click accept and would be in.

Just a thought.
  6. DonB

DonB ♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™ Moderator

If you read his post, he says he is not getting the login page. ;)

7. strollin

strollin Well-Known Member

I used the free wifi at McDonald's just a few days ago so I know it works. However, I used the Dolphin browser, not Chrome, so can't say if that's a factor.

Once you connect to the hotspot and open the browser, do you see the login screen or not? When I was at McDonald's, after connecting to the hotspot and opening the browser, there was a small, hard-to-see checkbox that I needed to check before proceeding but once I got past there I had full access to the net.
  8. bluejay714

bluejay714 Member

Yeah I saw someone else saying the same thing too. They were able to do it but they were also using other browsers.
    For me, it's just blank, trying to load something. I think it's the chrome that somehow blocks the login page or just can't open it. I do need to download some other browsers, but the thing is i need to get wifi first.. so I might try and get a wireless router this weekend and see if I can get wifi at home. If it works, then I'll download other browsers :( and use that when I have to use wifi that requires additional login...

If I cannot get wifi at school I might just have to return it because that's where I spend most of my time and bought Nexus thinking that it'll be a handy device to use on campus..
    other than the wifi not working, I really do love this lil machine.. i'd hate to return it..
  9. DonB

DonB ♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™ Moderator

You should be able to connect it, with no issues, I suggest trying to get a router and see if you can connect, or go to someone house that has WiFi, download a different browser and see what happens, report back.

10. boatbum11

boatbum11 New Member

Ok. I'm a smartphone newbie. Just got an ATT Go Phone Smartphone.

Works great EXCEPT: It connects just fine to my home wifi. When I try to connect at McDonalds or anywhere else, I find the open wifi, click 'connect' and get a 'cannot connect, try again?' message.

Same message whether I'm at McDo or Macy's or Starbucks etc. Once I get home, wifi connects right up. I suspect I'm just doing something wrong vs a major problem.

Anyone with any idea?
  11. Technus

Technus New Member

Settings
  12. Technus

Technus New Member

Go to Settings
  13. jimerson

jimerson Member

Go to Settings
  14. Teknologic

Teknologic Well-Known Member

That's weird, but you should probably try some place specific to your phone. This is a forum about the nexus 7.
    All that comes to mind with open networks is you often need to authenticate before you can effectively start browsing or transfer data in general.
  15. M81162

M81162 Active Member

I had trouble connecting to my library wifi as google chrome kept saying "too many redirects" I opened up firefox and got the log in screen and was logged on in seconds.
  16. johngarmon

johngarmon New Member

new Nexus 7 2013 model. Fixed the problem at Dunkin Donuts where too many redirects prevented showing the page where I needed to click the button. Installed Firefox and forced it to go through Firefox. That works!

Apparently Chrome has a security problem with Re-directs or it may be that I had set security too tight.

regardless, using Firefox logged me into wifi at Dunkin Donuts just now!

john3
  17. TheAmazingDave

TheAmazingDave Well-Known Member

NFC is a separate radio and has zilch to do with WiFi.

I run CM10.1.3, have Chrome as my primary browser, and do not have any issue with 3rd-party WiFi acceptance pages.

There must be a setting somewhere that affects this, or maybe it's an issue with stock firmware (if you're not using a 3rd-party ROM).
  18. andre5006

andre5006 Member

Can't help solve the problem; but, I too use Chrome to connect to networks, like McD, hotels and other, that have a login screen with not problem on my N7 (original) with all the version of Android that I have seen.